Behind-the-Scenes of SDS

Shania Wang

Matthew Hajjar (9) reads his lines from “The Internet is Distract–OH LOOK A KITTEN!” during Period 6 lunch on Tuesday. SDS readings are currently underway.

Student directors of this year’s Student Directed Showcase (SDS) began their year-long process of directing a full-length play by holding staged readings on Tuesday and Wednesday during both lunches in performing arts department chair Laura Lang-Ree’s room.

The student directors this year are seniors Janet Lee, Mary Najibi, Rachel Renteria and Maxwell (MC) Smitherman. The plays they will be directing are “Cheating Death”, “The Internet is Distract–OH LOOK A KITTEN!”, “Selfie” and “The Final Dress Rehearsal”, respectively.

Requirements for becoming a student director include taking a series of classes all four years in the Conservatory and submitting an application in the spring of junior year. Afterwards, Lang-Ree interviews candidates about their goals, level of commitment, and leadership skills before finally choosing the directors. The chosen applicants then select their plays over the summer after reading and analyzing numerous pieces.

“Sometimes students read 20 to 30 to 40 to 50 scripts,” says Lang-Ree. “Sometimes they pick it right away. It’s a lot of reading.”

Being directors allows the students to be in charge of the complete visions for their shows. They are in charge of costumes and lighting cues, which are then carried out by the tech crew.

The directors are also required to take a course during their fifth period. During this class, they work on all aspects of producing a show. They start the first six weeks cerebrally by analyzing plays and doing vision work. In preparation for auditions, they begin to focus more on the business part of directing a play by working with forms and schedules along with selecting students for the different roles. Students also learn how to promote and block their shows. By the end of their experience, they will have learned all characteristics of being a director.

“The class is actually mirrored after a course I took as a master student. We follow a very methodical, specific curriculum in the art of directing itself,” Lang-Ree said.

Additionally, directors commit many hours outside of class each week to SDS, sometimes even staying at school until about 10 o’clock.

“I’d say in preparation we’ve done about six hours a week,” Mary said. “It’ll probably go up to 15 to 20 during rehearsals, and the week before the show could possibly be double that.”

Senior student director Mary Najibi follows along in her script during the reading of her show as fellow student director Rachel Renteria (12) overlooks. SDS readings took place today.
Shania Wang

Lang-Ree described the importance of the staged reading in helping the directors.

“You get so lost in the show and reading it, that to hear it come to life with other people’s voices, it gets magical and it gives you ideas,” Lang-Ree said. “It’s also reassuring when you hear people laughing and enjoying the script as much as you do.”

Student director Janet expressed her excitement for beginning the production of her play.

“I’m looking forward to casting and just working with a lot of my peers in a different setting because there’s this new actor-director relationship,” she said. “Just seeing the show come to life altogether is really awesome.”

Maxwell stated how the read-throughs can also benefit the performers, allowing them to learn more about SDS.

“We don’t make any decisions during staged readings,” he said. “It’s mostly for performers to figure out what each show is about and know what they’re going into before auditions.”

Many actors elaborated upon their reasons for wanting to audition for SDS, finding it to be an effective way to participate in the performing arts program.

“I decided to audition because I think it’s a great experience, and since I’m not doing any more performing arts, I want to be involved in at least something, so this is one of the ways for me to be involved,” said Natasha Maniar (9).

Other students enjoy it due to its smaller level of commitment.

“It’s how I spend time during the winters,” said senior Lev Sepetov, who has participated as an actor in SDS since freshman year. “I like acting, and it’s also just fun being with your friends. It’s not a huge time commitment.”

Auditions are scheduled to take place next Monday and Tuesday during both lunches and after school. Callbacks will follow on Wednesday from 4 to 7 p.m. Students interested in auditioning can sign up for an audition time slot on Mrs. Lang-Ree’s door. Directors will begin rehearsals with the cast around the second week of November.