Dress code changes affect student wardrobe choices

Kshithija Mulam

Alexander Lam (11), Rishabh Gargeya (11), and Sandip Nirmel (11) all sport dress code appropriate outfits. Plain t-shirts are allowed to be worn.

After many concerns last year about dress length and other tenets of the dress code, the administration and Dress Code Committee consisting of students, faculty and parents addressed these issues by finalizing an amended dress code that was put into action near the end of the last academic year. The new dress code states among other rules that dresses must follow the fingertip rule in terms of length, non-collared shirts can be worn and only university logos or Harker-approved logos are allowed on clothing. As a result of these changes, some students made changes in their wardrobe choices for the upcoming school year.

Screen Shot 2015-08-31 at 10.03.11 PMKshithija Mulam

Chris Hailey (11)

“I have fewer things to choose from, like I can’t wear multicolored clothes much because I feel like I’m limited by what the dress code says. I have a bunch of these hippie shirts at home, but I feel like I can’t wear those to school because they are not part of the dress code.”

Screen Shot 2015-08-31 at 10.03.17 PMKshithija Mulam

Haley Keller (10)

“I do really like the new dress code; instead of having two inches above the knee, the length of your arms does allow you to have more [freedom]. I know that my brother really likes having the no collar rule too, so I think that it’s benefited the students a lot so far.”

Screen Shot 2015-08-31 at 10.03.05 PMKshithija Mulam

Lucas Wang (11)

“It has actually affected it a lot. You know, because I can’t wear my collared shirts anymore because then people are going to judge me like ‘Dude, why are you wearing a collared shirt still, we don’t need to wear that anymore,’ but then it gets to the point of my non-collared shirts aren’t dress code approved, like I don’t have any non-logo shirts or strictly college shirts. I have two of them, my Stanford one and my Wharton one. I’ve been alternating throughout the week.”

Screen Shot 2015-08-31 at 10.02.48 PMKshithija Mulam

Wynter Chaverst (9)

“Well, I actually don’t really like the dress code because I had to eliminate some of the items I wore, but I learned that when I did, I dressed a lot neater and a lot nicer.”

While some students acknowledged that the dress code has changed significantly, they also noted that it did not directly affect what they wore to school.

Screen Shot 2015-08-31 at 10.03.31 PMKshithija Mulam

Sana Aladin (11)

“Not much. I think most of my stuff kind of goes with the dress code. I haven’t worn anything different than what was there in the previous dress code. It seems to be working fine for now.”

Screen Shot 2015-08-31 at 10.02.58 PMKshithija Mulam

Ethan Grammer (10)

“I’m actually new here this year, so I haven’t really experienced the old dress code. I mean, it hasn’t really been that much of a change for me, at least.”

Screen Shot 2015-08-31 at 10.02.41 PMKshithija Mulam

Kevin Hu (12)

“It honestly doesn’t matter to me that much. Honestly, only so few administrators enforce it that it’s not worth changing my wardrobe for.”

Screen Shot 2015-08-31 at 10.03.23 PMKshithija Mulam

Adriano Hernandez (10)

“They really haven’t changed anything. I think it just frees up more choices, but really in general, there hasn’t been too much change.”