Students and teachers to celebrate Memorial Day

Courtesy of WIkimedia Commons

President Obama sets a wreath in front of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier on Memorial Day in 2013. Students and teachers at Harker will spend their Memorial Day weekend in different ways.

Memorial Day, a day for students and teachers to commemorate and celebrate soldiers in the armed forces who died while serving, remains a day that is special to many students and staff members who have family members or friends in the armed forces.

Many memorial day parades and ceremonies are held in the Bay Area, including events in Saratoga and Cupertino.

Following a tradition since 1928, Saratoga will hold a parade starting at the Memorial Arch continuing to Madronia Cemetery, where there will then be a wreath-laying ceremony. There will also be a ceremony at Cupertino Memorial Park recognizing soldiers who have died, particularly those who grew up in the Bay Area.

“It was a special memory to see local veterans in uniform present the flag as we sang the national anthem and saluted the flag with fellow patriots,” Harker Teacher Heather Russell said. “Placing flowers at the base of the statue honoring a childhood friend and local hero, Matt Axelson was also a meaningful way to honor the sacrifice given by many for our freedoms.”

Despite the significance of the holiday for many people who are in the armed forces or have family members in the armed forces, many students will not recognize this holiday with any special activities or actions due to upcoming finals. Some students mentioned that they do not celebrate Memorial Day.

“I’m probably just going to be in my room all day studying for finals, because that’s the thing that’s important for my grade right now,” Eric Tran (9) said.

Most students did express appreciation for those in the armed forces and soldiers who died while serving, but found that the stress of upcoming finals kept them from celebrating. Others felt that the importance of Memorial Day was undermined due to the busy time of year.

“Most students just think of Memorial Day as an extra day to sleep in and not go to school.” Megan Swanson (10) said. “I, myself, rarely think about the actual reason for the holiday, but I believe that it is important for everyone to realize its significance and how much of our country treats Memorial Day.”

A few students are going to be taking advantage of the three-day weekend by going on trips with their families.

“First of all, my family and I are going to Los Angeles to visit some of my family from my dad’s side, David Roman (9) said. “There is also a quinceañera we have to attend there. After visiting LA, we will go to Modesto and visit another aunt and uncle.”
Whether or not Memorial Day is celebrated by a majority of students, there are many locally-organized opportunities for those looking to recognize soldiers and their families.