Leading up to fifth annual HOSCARS talent show

Shay Lari-Hosain

Teachers perform “The Lion Sleeps Tonight” in the 2014 HOSCARS show. Teachers perform each year in HOSCARS.

Auditions for the Upper School’s fifth annual talent show, dubbed HOSCARS start this week. The show, will be held on March 25 and will feature performances from students across all grade levels.

Student council invited all students to sign up to audition for a spot in this year’s HOSCARS via a google form. The audition process is currently ongoing for both performers and the MCs; this year, student council hopes to incorporate an increased number of acts into the show to match the influx of audition sign-ups.

In previous years, notable performers have included alumnus Varun Cherukuri (‘14), Apoorva Rangan (12) and group of last year’s graduating seniors in a Bollywood number. As a freshman, Varun won plaudits for his dance rendition of Michael Jackson’s “Smooth Criminal.” Varun amassed a large following and to this day, a Facebook fan page created in approbation of his prowess remains in existence. In her sophomore year in 2013, Apoorva beatboxed her way to first place on the flute. Last HOSCARS, several seniors formed a group and performed to a medley of well-known Bollywood songs including “Badtameez Dil.”

Maya Rai (10) and her friends will be continuing the Bollywood tradition in an all-sophomore number.

I am mostly looking forward to seeing people’s reactions to our routine, because it is really funny. I don’t have any stage fright [so] I chose to perform. I thought it would a great way to spend time with my friends.

— Maya Rai (10)

Another act this year includes students from across grade levels, with freshmen Darren Gu, Marcus Chen, and Maxwell Woehrmann, junior Lev Sepetov and seniors Alex Thomas, Vivek Sriram and Jai Ahuja. They will be dancing to the KPOP song “Roly Poly,” by the all-girl group T-ara.

“I am most excited to show all my friends how much heart I have put into this dance, as I have been working on this for a long time already,” Darren Gu said. “I definitely would like to participate next year; it’s really exciting to prepare for, and a nice way to hang out with your friends when you’re practicing.”

ASB Student Council President Sarah Bean (12) anticipates watching her peers “share their talents with the school.” Student council has formed three committees to prepare for HOSCARS: technology, auditions and decorations/publicity.

I love that the community gets to see students in a different light during Hoscars. A lot of times, students reveal talents that few people knew they had. It is always exciting to see how supportive the community is of the performers.

— Sarah Bean

Dean of Students Kevin Williamson recounted acts that were memorable to him.

“[Varun] brought the house down with his Michael Jackson impersonation,” Williamson said. “That one stands out because he was someone who was kind of under the radar and then all of a sudden was in the spotlight and did an amazing job. [And] Doc Harley performed an operatic piece in german and he was wearing his lederhosen, I’m hoping he’ll do that again.”

Additional reporting by Lauren Russell.

This piece was originally published in the pages of The Winged Post on March 13, 2015.