Opinions on the Homecoming floats

Seniors walk in the Homecoming parade with their class Gotham City-themed float.

Homecoming week gave students a chance to show spirit for their school. Each class chose a Homecoming theme and had to design and create a float based on the selected theme. Each grade had a different float theme, freshman with Mickey Mouse, sophomores with Frozen, juniors with Harry Potter and seniors with Gotham City.

Markus Wong (9) helped build the freshman float and described the ups and downs of creating the freshman float.

“When we made the float we had these foam balls and then we started to run into some issues when we started cutting them. The first time we cut one and then it broke in half,” Markus said. “The easy part was just taping everything together. Assembling the Mickey was the easiest part because we had to put the wires into the foam and stick it together.”

On the freshman float was a Mickey Mouse made out of styrofoam balls which were painted green and black.

“I think it makes you spirited,” Kristin Leblanc (9) said about the floats. “It’s a good idea unless it looks kind of bad, but still it gets you in the spirit for Homecoming.”

Kavya Seth (10) expressed her opinion on the sophomores’ Olaf-themed float. The float portrayed Olaf surrounded by bundles of fluffy, stretched out cotton balls that looked like snow

“I think that maybe it could’ve been colored better but I’m not good at painting, so I guess I shouldn’t criticize something that I didn’t even help do or whatever,” Kavya said. “But other than that I think it was pretty good.”

Doreene Kang (11) commented on the junior’s Hogwarts castle-themed float. The mysterious, black castle stood covered in gold glitter stood tall with opposing twin towers as the sides.

“It’s really nice, it’s good workmanship,” she said.

Senior and ASB president Sara Bean expressed her thoughts on the seniors’ Gotham City float. Skyscrapers rising tall above the ground and the Batman logo were both portrayed in the float.

“I think it came together really well, and I was glad to see that a lot of seniors just jumped in during the parade and started chanting with us, because it really brought that class spirit together,” she said.

The float rankings are currently hanging in the class eagles’ beaks by the walkway near the library. The freshmen rank fourth, sophomores second, juniors third and seniors first.