Keller’s Korner 9/26

Freshmen+line+up+to+vote+for+their+class+council.+Amy+Jin+%289%29+ran+for+Class+President+this+year+against+Jimmy+Lin%2C+Praveen+Batra%2C+Rajiv+Movva+and+Randy+Zhao.+

Maya Jeyendran

Freshmen line up to vote for their class council. Amy Jin (9) ran for Class President this year against Jimmy Lin, Praveen Batra, Rajiv Movva and Randy Zhao.

Keller’s Korner takes a look at freshman elections from a candidate’s perspective this week: before speeches and after the vote.

Amy Jin (9) ran for Class President this year against Jimmy Lin, Praveen Batra, Rajiv Movva and Randy Zhao.

“I currently am not nervous,” she said before giving her speech to the freshman class on Tuesday. “But once I get up to stand behind the podium and deliver my speech, I will be internally freaking out.”

Amy says she was inspired to run for student council because it seemed fun and in an effort to enhance her class’s experience at Harker.

“I cannot promise that I would be the best class president, but I can promise that I will value everyone’s opinions and suggestions and that I will always put forth my best effort,” she said. “Some ideas I have myself are to add more 10 minute passing periods throughout the week, an alternative being to propose a three-minute grace period for people coming from or arriving to Shah.”

After speeches for all five student council positions, President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary, and Spirit Coordinator were given during an hour-long extra help on Tuesday, votes were held in the Journalism room during Thursday’s lunches.

The number of freshmen voting was unusually low this year, according to Upper School Dean of Students Kevin Williamson. In contrast to this year’s 57 percent turnout, “freshmen elections usually run about 10 percent higher, or 68 percent,” Williamson said.

Results of the elections were announced Friday, with Jimmy Lin, Darren Gu, Justin Su, Derek Kuo, and Maxwell Woehrmann winning President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary, and Spirit Coordinator respectively.

After the new student council was appointed, Amy share her thoughts on the outcome.

“I was a bit disappointed at first, but I didn’t linger over it too long,” she said. “I knew from the start that whoever won in the end would have deserved it because all the candidates would have made great class presidents.”

Amy also did not think that voter turnout had any bearing on the results. “Those who didn’t vote probably had no preference,” she said.  “So not mandating voting would actually ensure that the class president in the end really had a majority of the grade’s support.”

Amy is not sure if she will run again next year, but she thinks it would be fun.