Editorial: Dodging the controversy

Today during school hours, over 700 students in Denver’s Jefferson County school district left class en masse to protest the censorship of the district’s history curriculum.

Also today during long-lunch, approximately 35 Harker seniors occupied the gym to protest the contested verdict of a dodgeball tournament.

After the juniors won one round of the junior versus senior dodgeball championship and tied the other two, referees and spirit coordinators crowned the junior class the victors because they had the most wins in a three-game period.

Because the official rules state that “teams win best two out of three,” the game’s officials and class deans discussed whether or not the juniors’ one round victory constituted a win. After the decision, a number of seniors felt that the winning team should have been the first to reach two wins. Some of the senior team staged a sit-in on the gym floor, refusing to leave until they were warned of consequences.

In the fervor of emotions surrounding class competitions, it is easy to forget that compared to infringements of rights around the world, our dodgeball complaints are relatively minor. Social protest is about fighting for civil liberties and human rights, not contesting a controversial call in a spirit event.

Even so, we understand why the seniors felt compelled to take action in the heat of the moment.

Caught in a heady cocktail of sports, class competition, and herd mentality, it was easy for players’ emotions to escalate. The seniors’ actions may not have been appropriate for the situation, but they are still understandable and relatable.

Rumors circulated following the game; allegations of cheating were made, and the word “corruption” was thrown around. According to some seniors, the referees were not noticing the juniors’ “disregard” for basic dodgeball rules.

Regardless of the validity of the call to declare juniors the victors, the fact remains that controversial calls are made all the time by game officials, from pee-wee baseball to professional sports. The point of sportsmanship is to accept calls whether or not we personally agree with them and move on.

It is within our rights to be angry about a call we think is incorrect and discuss it with the referees or administration, and there were seniors that did that. We are amiss to treat our anger as a justification for protest. We are frustrated because we lost a game, but at the end of the day, it’s just a game.

It is noteworthy that the points of controversy that have inspired the most significant upheaval amongst the student body have been about a hemline and a dodgeball game. Of all the injustices that could have inspired us to action, these are the ones we noticed.

We need to take a hard look at how we react to what we are passionate about. As high school students, we are allowed to care fervently about day to day matters. But we cannot respond to minor disagreements in the same way we would protest major issues.