New clubs take the stage at Club Fair

As returning clubs like Key Club, Interact, and DECA made their presence known to students at Club Fair during Long Lunch today, several new clubs made their debut as well.

Magic and Cardistry Club

After spending the summer in Chicago practicing magic with his brother, junior Johnny Trinh founded the Magic and Cardistry Club to pass down what he learned to other students.

“I thought I might like to share the secrets. I’m not a type of person that can keep secrets so easily, so I really want a place where magicians can practice, share, and perform for friends,” Johnny said.

Magic and Cardistry Club meets during the second half of Long Lunch every week in math department head Anthony Silk’s room and plans to film videos and perform tricks for students later in the year.

“If you have a girl on your ‘hitlist,’ [joining Magic and Cardistry Club to impress her] would be perfect,” Johnny said.

Harker Algorithm Club

“Too often, we do programming just to do well on a programming exam or ace an [AP Computer Science] exam, but the thing is that programming is much more important than that because you can use it outside the classroom,” president of Harker Algorithm Club David Lin (12) said.

Lawrence Li (11) founded the club along with David to teach students real-world applications of programming to help them prepare for life outside of Harker. David cited finance as an example of one of the topics they would discuss.

Harker Algorithm Club will meet in chemistry teacher Robbie Korin’s room every other Wednesday.

Cricket Club

After noticing the lack of cricket at Harker, Chirag Aswani (12) sought to bring the sport to the students.

“There’s not many teams in the US that play a quality cricket game, but here at Harker, we’ll give you that quality game [in Cricket Club],” Chirag said.

Though Cricket Club plans to meet regularly on either Davis or Rosenthal field from 11:30-12:00 during Long Lunch, there will be meetings once a month in English teacher John Docherty’s room to watch and discuss cricket games while eating free food.

Spoken Word Club

Rudy Francisco. Omar Holmon. Kait Rokowski. Maybe the next big name in spoken word poetry will come from Spoken Word Club founded by juniors Aarti Kheskani and Kaity Gee.

“I started getting into Spoken Word poetry because of Kaity,” Aarti said. “It’s not just reading it but it’s really like giving a piece of your soul to your audience rather than putting it on a piece of paper.”

Those looking to express themselves through spoken word poetry can attend meetings in English teacher Ohad Paran’s room. Meeting times are still tentative.

Spoken Word Club hopes to bring in guest speakers, such as Sarah Kay, who founded Project V.O.I.C.E to teach and inspire others using spoken word poetry as a medium, to speak to students at Harker.