French NHS hosts fundraiser and publishes newsletter

During the week of Valentine’s Day, the French National Honor Society (FNHS) hosted a variety of events to motivate students’ involvement in French-related activities, according to co-president Jason Young (12).

This year, FNHS had a significant increase in participation compared to previous years.

“Two years ago, there wasn’t really anything going on,” co-president Susan Tu (12) said. “It’s definitely more successful than before.”

The week began with a special Valentine’s Day song for couples during lunch and ended with a showing of Persepolis, an animated French film about an Iranian girl who moves to France.

Members of FNHS sold crepes everyday after school and organized a draw-off on Friday, which tested students’ ability to draw the Eiffel Tower.

Their second publication of their annual newsletter, Sans Limite, which came out at the beginning of French week, covered a variety of topics from fashion to food. They could only afford to publish 85 color copies this year, with each copy costing $2.50.

“[The newsletter] was a learning experience for all the members,” Jason said. “It allowed the writers to do research in areas they were interested in.”

Besides the newsletter, members of FNHS are now working on creating a website towards the end of the year to publicize their events and the club itself. They will host a speaker to talk to French students about the language itself, and they will also begin a pen-pal program.

French teacher and co-FNHS advisor Nicholas Manjoine encourages members of FNHS and the French Language Club to fulfill their goals.

“What happens in the classroom is sometimes isolated, so [organizing events] is another way to integrate [French language students’] enthusiasm with the rest of the community,” Manjoine said.

FNHS hopes to use the money earned from selling crepes to reimburse the school for the cost of their annual newsletter. The total amount made has not been confirmed yet, but it is has been estimated to be around $100.

Susan believes that motivating students to take part in their activities outside of class is important when learning different languages.

“[Spreading the word about French activities] is noteworthy for the same reason we take foreign languages at all: to know another culture other than your own,” she said.

French III student, Ashwin Chalaka (9) agrees.

“A lot of people can express themselves through their culture,” he said. “[French week] was a great way for non-French students to get involved.”

Jason and Susan both hope that FNHS continues to grow in the upcoming years. They want to use their successes this year as an incentive to continue publishing newsletters as well as creating new events in the future.