Power outage at Upper School

The+Upper+School+experienced+a+power+outage+today+at+8%3A01+a.m.+Classes+are+back+in+session+following+the+regular+schedule.+

Vasudha Rengarajan

The Upper School experienced a power outage today at 8:01 a.m. Classes are back in session following the regular schedule.

The Upper School experienced a power-outage at 8:01 a.m. this morning.

The lights flickered on and off until 8:17 a.m. when the power came back on. Lights were back on  but WiFi had to be restarted and only came on at 8:43 a.m.

The loss of WiFi impacted teaching and caused management issues. Colleen Krisman, receptionist in the Dobbins Office, shares how the power outage changed the way they communicate with and keep track of the student body.

A announcement posted on the student portal briefed students about the power outage, which was part of a larger outage in San Jose. While power and WiFi have been restored earlier than estimated, some web services are still unavailable.

Power outage brief

Assistant Head of School Gregory Lawson claims no lead to the source or cause of the blackout, though the power outage is “very unusual.” Quick security measures include checking for functioning signals, such as traffic signals, to ensure local safety.

greg lawson

“We just sort of wait it out, and if we find out that [the blackout is] not going to be too long then we sort of hang in there,” he said. “If we had found out from PG&E that the power was going to be out all day, the administrators would have probably come together and made some sort of big time decision on what to do. But since it was short term, we just carried on, but we have a communication chain that we carry on, like today it ends up being door to door and we split off to different parts of campus.”

Lawson continued to clarify information regarding the “communication chain,” by which school administrators make their way around campus, from one class to another, and notify instructors and students of the current situation.

Teachers and students were forced to make alternate plans due to the lack of electricity. Juniors Darby Millard and Noel Banerjee used their phone flashlights to help English teacher Ohad Paran continue teaching despite the darkness.

sheridan

Other classrooms utilized natural light emitting from the class windows. Dr. Pauline Paskali’s English class was one which depended on the sunlight, and despite complications, continued with the scheduled class plans.

aaron

“We got in a little huddle, had a good Gatsby sesh, and we had a lot of class bonding and loving,” Aaron Huang (11) said.

Had the blackout persisted until lunch, students would receive cold lunches and make use of the school’s emergency food supply, including paper and plates and food stored in coolers. Although recycling matters would arise following the measures,  the lunch process would progress smoothly. The necessity of the procedure has never arisen.

The last power outage occurred on March 31.

*Additional reporting by Ashi Gautum, Vivek Bhardwaj, Kacey Fang, Elisabeth Siegel, Kshithija Mulam, Arthi Iyer, and Kavya Ramakrishnan.