Heather Perrotta becomes transportation supervisor

The bus drivers shuttling students back and forth, campus to campus, are a dear part of our school’s community.

One driver in particular was assigned the position of Transportation Supervisor: our own Heather Perrotta. Behind the wheel or off the road, Perrotta has a rich history with our school, and has unique pastimes and memories to share.

Before Perrotta began driving buses here, she had a more unusual job: she worked as an archery instructor, when it was offered as a winter sport. Also hired as a softball and volleyball coach, her school-year jobs mostly revolved around teaching sports.

During the summer, Perrotta managed the summer camp archery program, doubling as a camp counselor; simultaneously, she acted as a live-in house mom for boarders at the school.

Once the boarding program closed down, she became a full-time bus driver. Her job as the transportation supervisor stemmed from there.

“I had to stop coaching since driving the bus was at the same time as sports,” said Perrotta.

Although she never envisioned herself driving buses, Ms. Perrotta does enjoy her job: she said that her favorite part is the “kids, definitely the kids,” the numerous students that board the buses daily.

Although nothing too crazy happens on or to the buses traveling throughout our campuses, Perotta believes that the most unusual thing to have happened would probably be the occasional technical failures that cause them to break down.

Even though strange occurrences on the buses aren’t common, the transportation department still has a great deal of work: the Transportation Supervisor, specifically, organizes bus-driving schedules, keeps information for the bus drivers, and plays an important role in off-campus trips for any occasion.

“My job entails ensuring the buses and drivers are safe and in good working order,” said Perrotta, “I do all of the coordinating and scheduling between campuses for the campus shuttle, field trips and sporting events.”

Aside from driving buses, many of Perrotta’s interests focus on the outdoors and open-air recreation. Some of her favorite hobbies include hiking, walking her dog, and watching hockey as a self-proclaimed Sharks fan. The beach is a place you might find her on a day off.

Even back as a child, Perrotta fondly remembers off-roading in her father’s dune-buggy, and playing softball and volleyball in school. Her wishes and ideal desires involve the natural world as well.

“[One thing I wish I could do is] travel the world indefinitely. I love traveling.” says Perrotta. “[I want to travel to] Italy, to track down some of my family.”

When asked about the best piece of advice she’d ever been given, Perrotta offered valuable pointers, including “just go with the flow” and “don’t get stuck in the midst of things”. Recently, she says her new phrase has been “it is what it is”, a simple, carefree approach to life in the present.

With her extensive agenda at work, one may wonder what Perrotta’s plans for the future may be. Her answer to this is straightforward and concise: “My plan is simple, live day to day to its fullest. It’s about the journeys in life, not necessarily the destination of the ‘future’.”

Perrotta’s position as Transportation Supervisor is a commendable attainment that, although holding some similarities to being a regular bus driver, opens the door to new opportunities and an altered perspective.

This piece was originally published in the pages of The Winged Post on Jan. 27, 2012.