STEM Week: A Showcase of Science Clubs

WISTEM and nine other clubs and organizations hosted the annual STEM Week last week along with fundraising for the Children’s Club at St. Elizabeth’s Hospital in Tanzania, which is where Upper School students visit in the summer.

The Green Team, Triple Helix Club, Chemistry Club, Medical Club, Research Club, Clean Tech Club, Math Club, Female Empowerment Club (FEM), and the students traveling on the Tanzania trip collaborated with WiSTEM on the week while the entire event was led by WiSTEM officers Daniela Lee (11) and Kristine Lin (12).

This year, the clubs participating in STEM Week are raising funds for the Children’s Club at St. Elizabeth’s Hospital in Tanzania by raising money through bake sales after school. St. Elizabeth’s Hospital began its Children’s Club to help children through understanding the meaning of HIV statuses.

“[STEM Week] also helps bring awareness to problems around the world. What we are doing here, we are helping out HIV kids,” said Kristine.

The week’s events began with an activity led by FEM Club on Monday during both lunch periods in which students had an option of taking a quiz on abortion statistics or writing science facts on cards for elementary school students.

“I think it’s really fun, and I think that they try to do a lot of involvement between [students] and the actual people who do the demos,” Neymika Jain (9) said.

During Tuesday’s lunch periods, the STEM organizations held a lava lamp station for students to make these lamps with various supplies. Since the booth had minor difficulties, FEM club opened their activity once again as a backup. In the second lunch period, the lava lamp activity booth was functioning properly.

“The lava lamp event had a technical issue during the first lunch today, but it was up and running during the second lunch,” said Daniela.

The main event of STEM Week, the STEM Fair, was held on Wednesday during long lunch. All science clubs involved in STEM Week created exhibitions and posters in Nichols Atrium for students and faculty to enjoy.

“Number one, [STEM Week] raises the interest in sciences, especially for young women who are interested in engineering and mathematics. This is a great showcase for the clubs and also for the students to show the demos as far as chemistry experiments are concerned,” chemistry teacher Dr. Smriti Koodanjeri said.

On Thursday, these students hosted the lunch activity that included a crossword puzzle about the Children’s Club.

STEM Week concluded on Friday with a Fermi Problem, an estimation problem involving analysis. Students who solved the problem correctly won prizes in each lunch period.

“STEM Week showcases all the science clubs on campus and it helps expose us to different activities that Harker offers,” Kristine said.

During advisory, extra help periods, and after school, the STEM Week clubs sold baked goods such as brownies, cake pops, and other sweets in order to raise money for the St. Elizabeth’s Hospital in Tanzania. Students enjoyed participating in activities during lunch and purchasing food from the bake sales while gaining awareness about world issues.

This piece was originally published in the pages of The Winged Post on March 12, 2014