Governors Global Climate Summit 2: Sophomores attend

Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, Prime Minister Tony Blair, and Nobel Laureate Dr. Rejendra Pachauri discuss climate change at the culmination of the GGCS2

Political leaders met in Los Angeles September 30- October 2 to discuss the current environmental issues. The Governor’s Global Climate Summit 2 featured speakers advocating “green changes.”

Among speakers Tony Blair and Arnold Schwarzenegger were sophomores Daniela Lapidous and Shreya Indukuri.

After applying and receiving a grant to bring environmental awareness to the school’s community, Shreya and Daniela were recommended by Alexis Ringwald, the Cofounder of Valence Energy along with Raju Indukuri, and invited two weeks ago to the Governor’s Global Climate Summit 2.

“Our goal was to meet lots of new people and tell them what we’re doing, so they can use it in their schools,” Shreya said.

Joining the students on their trip to Los Angeles, Butch Keller, Head of Upper School, commented, “what these two are doing is affecting 2000 students,”

Daniela and she were able to quickly eliminate a problem in the school’s power usage after receiving the grant. Within the first week, they cut 5,000 dollars off the power bill by turning off an appliance that was left on all night.

“People showed genuine interest. We should get everyone to go green,” Shreya said.

In response to the money saved, Matthew Doyle, Political Advisor to Tony Blair, commented, “This is stuff that it makes sense to do anyways, like energy efficiency for example. If you can cut 5,000 pounds or bills by having one less appliance, that’s kind of a logical thing to do, independent of the climate change.”

Each day leaders spoke on climate change and an international effort towards decreasing the problem. First, however, “they need to understand the climate change is an important issue,” Doyle said. Talking among a panel discussing this topic, Jane Davidson, Environment Minister of Wales, said, “A poll showed that more people believe in ghosts than they do in climate change.”

On the last day of the Summit, a panel of Prime Minister Tony Blair, Nobel Laureate, Dr. Rajendra Pachauri, and Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger convened. In agreement their message was this: a substantial change in the environment must be made, and can be made.

“[The speakers at the Summit] kept saying it has to get done at national level. I think it can get more powerful than they think. That’s what I liked about Schwarzenegger’s speech,” Daniela said.

In his speech, Schwarzenegger brought the issues of the environment into the hands of the public. With a reference to Saturday Night Fever, Schwarzenegger explained how trends can be made, like disco tanks spreading across the country, without the government getting involved. We “have to think on multiple levels,” he said.

An interview with Margaret Koli, Youth Advisor in Kenya for the United Nations Environment Program, gives insight to teens as to how their small actions are part of a bigger picture. “Teenagers are people who are out to consume. [But], if you want to go shopping, why don’t you come together as a group of five of your best friends and take clothes that you wont be wearing anymore, and sort of exchange them. It’s going green with whatever you like doing,” Koli said.

After having “the most amazing experience ever” Shreya returned home more confident in spreading her ideas.

“I was really inspired by all the politicians who were in action,” Daniela said. “I didn’t realize there were so many people who actually cared.”