Upper School performs at annual Winter Concert

The Upper School instrumental groups performed in the annual Winter Concert at the Mexican Heritage Theater on Friday, Jan. 17.

The concert, which began at 7:30 p.m., showcased a variety of pieces from the school’s instrumental groups as well as solos from featured students.

The first portion of the concert featured the Upper School Lab Band, which played four pieces: I Mean You by Thelonious Monk, Basin Street Blues by Spencer Williams, Dat Der by Bobby Timmons, and Manteca by Dizzy Gillespie.

“This Winter Concert turned out to be one of my favorite concerts since I started working at Harker. What I think makes the night so unique for me is hearing the full breadth of our program in one night,” Lab Band Director David Hart said. “I also find it very special getting to hear students in the Upper School who I worked with while they attended middle school.”

The Upper School Jazz Band, directed by Christopher Florio, followed the Lab Band with an additional four pieces, including the instrumental pieces Cheese That Time Forgot by Dan Gailey and Jumpin’ at the Woodside by Count Basie. The two pieces performed in between featured vocalist Julia Wang (11) accompanying the Jazz Band with their arrangements of I Loves You Porgy by George and Ira Gershwin and The Lady is a Tramp by Richard Rodgers and Lorenz Hart.

“My favorite part of being a vocalist is probably the fact that it’s so fun. I’ve made so many new friends and they treat me like one of them,” Julia said. “I also like that I can sing again, because before this I was in a choir outside of school, but I had to quit because I didn’t have enough time.”

After a brief intermission, the Upper School Orchestra took the stage, performing another four pieces. The Orchestra opened with Franz von Suppé’s Poet and Peasant Overture followed by seven movements from Aaron Copland’s Suite from Appalachian Spring.

The Orchestra’s next piece, excerpts from Fiddler on the Roof by Jerry Block, featured violinist Helen Wu (11). Helen played the fiddler part for her second time at school, the first of which she performed for the seventh grade show of Fiddler on the Roof.

“Every piece we played can be considered a professional level work that is difficult for any musicians to play, let alone a high school orchestra,” Florio said. “What I saw and heard Friday night was nothing short of amazing. They all rose to the occasion and conquered the musical challenges head on.”

Igor Stravinsky’s Scherzo á la Russe closed the concert as the final piece of the two and a half hour evening. Among those waiting to congratulate the instrumentalists werefaculty, friends, and family members.

“It was absolutely wonderful,” Shelley Chen, parent of Kevina Xiao (10), said. “It’s the second time I’m attending the show, and it just keeps getting better and better to see all the kids perform together and how my student grows.”

Others attendees, such as mathematics instructor Gabriele Stahl thought the concert was fantastic as it is “always [her] favorite performance of the year.”

The concert was not only the last of the winter season, but also the last of the seniors’ high school career. Students, such as Nathan Dhablania (12), who have been part of the instrumental family since their middle school years, have had time to reflect upon the progress of Friday’s concert and their time with their musical group.

“I thought we practiced hard and played well for this concert and results did show because we received a standing ovation,” Nathan said. “I’ll definitely remember this concert because it will be my last Winter Concert in high school, and I’m glad that I am part of the Harker Upper School Orchestra family.

The Middle School, under the direction of David Hart, also performed two hours prior to the Upper School concert. Of the middle school groups performing were the Grade Six Winds, Strings, and Orchestra followed by the Chamber Group and the Grade Seven to Eight Jazz Band and Orchestra.

The upcoming instrumental concerts include a 7:30 p.m. An Evening of Jazz on Friday, March 21 at the Blackford Theater and a 7:00 p.m. Spring Orchestra Concert on Friday, April 18 at the Mexican Heritage Theater.