Upper School students celebrate the arrival of the New Year

Pavitra Rengarajan

January 1st marked the 100th anniversary of the Rose Bowl. 2014 granted Michigan State the champion title after their win 24-20 against Stanford.

Cheerful applause erupted and silvery glasses clinked as Upper School students rang in the year 2014. Midnight marked the celebration of clean slates, new beginnings, and the shedding of old worries.

Some students celebrated in the presence of friends and family, joining together for one last time before settling back into their normal routines.

Arjun Ashok (11) and his family chose to spend the evening at a party hosted by friends.

“It definitely was a fun experience,” Arjun said. “The best part of New Years is the time spent with either family or friends or even both. It’s definitely always fun to celebrate the coming of a new year with the people you love.”

Others, while observing a similar tradition of celebration, chose to discontinue the tradition of New Years resolutions.

“I don’t really have any resolutions yet,” Mishi Vachev (11) said. “Resolutions are generally goals you want to achieve, and I think people already set enough goals for themselves, so when the new year comes around, there aren’t really any goals to be set.”

Enjoying watching the ball drop on television and catching a bit of the Rose Bowl on January 1st, Nikhil Parmar (10) had a relaxing New Year’s Day.

“I stayed at home with family, just because [we] didn’t want to go all out for a party,” he said.

Many slept in the morning of the new year and watched the Rose Bowl on television. In a close game, Michigan State defeated Stanford 24-20, claiming a win in the 100th year of the festival.

For Upper School students, this New Year marked the ending of break and the return to the rhythm of school and extracurriculars, a tradition that has changed little over the years.