Sophomores learn to stay button-proof at their LIFE assembly

An+instructor+from+the+Yes%21+group+gives+Andrew+Kim+%2810%29+a+high-five+after+asking+Andrew+to+perform+an+impromptu+dance+number+for+the+class.+The+activity+was+supposed+to+help+suggest+being+comfortable+in+your+own+skin.+

Sharanya Balaji

An instructor from the Yes! group gives Andrew Kim (10) a high-five after asking Andrew to perform an impromptu dance number for the class. The activity was supposed to help suggest being comfortable in your own skin.

Sophomores filed into the gym today to take part in one of the monthly LIFE events with the Youth Empowerment Seminar (YES!) about staying “button-proof.”

Every month, each grade meets to take part in a LIFE assembly or participate in the Eagle Buddies program. The freshmen, sophomores, and seniors stayed on campus while the juniors went to Bucknall to spend time with their Eagle Buddies. The sophomores were guided by three YES! instructors with various awareness activities and breathing techniques that they believe should be practiced when you feel one’s buttons are being pushed.

“I feel this will really help the students as everyone is stressed with school work and other activities,” LIFE board member Dhanush Madabusi said. “It is easy to lose your temper when you’re under pressured conditions so these practicing these breathing techniques can help with this or regular health and wellness.”

The instructors used an interactive approach to the seminar by calling up volunteers and having the class play games. They asked volunteers about what they would do in situations where their buttons were pushed and described breathing techniques that would help ease those types of situations.

Some breathing techniques included the “victory breathe” and the “power breath.” Both centered around trying to bring one’s emotional state to the present by calming the mind. These techniques are help one sleep easier.

“It was very helpful. I’m going to try the power breathing to help me go to sleep tonight,” Mary Najibi (10) said.

Although some students found this exercise beneficial towards their daily lives and sleeping patterns, others did not echo the same view. Some students found the exercises pointless or even boring.

“It was kind of interesting. They knew how to get our attention but at the same time it was pretty hard to take seriously,”John Jerney (10) said. “I don’t doubt that they’re breathing exercises could be helpful but I’ll probably forget about it by the end of the week.”

The group started with an awareness activity called “Mountain, Tree, River.” The objective of the game consisted of performing the assigned action for the corresponding word being announced, even if it differed from the instructor’s actions. This game demonstrated the benefits of staying aware of one’s surroundings. The class also played a game called “River, Bank, Surfer,” which tested once again one’s awareness for what was going on.

The next LIFE event for all grades will be on January 17th. The freshmen, juniors, and seniors will stay on campus while the sophomores travel to Bucknall for Eagle Buddies.