Special schedule allows for comment reviews

Juniors Hannah Bollar and Alex Thomas do homework while listening to music after school. The shorter schedule to accommodate comment review allowed students to use the extra time to do work or relax.

The school day ended at 1:30 p.m. today to allow teachers to finish and review student comments. Students were free to leave after the last period of the day.

To accommodate the shortened day, class periods were 30 minutes, school meeting was 20 minutes, and lunch was an hour long. Many teachers found the 30 minutes to be inconvenient for their lesson plans, but the shortened day eased their burden for comments.

“I just have to reduce the amount I’d been planning to cover or only focus on certain components I’d been planning to cover had it been a 50-minute period,” English teacher Beverley Manning said. “It just gives me some time in the afternoon to start getting in my comments, so I don’t have to use my prep time for my classes.”

Many students enjoyed the shorter class periods, as they were lighter and more relaxing.
“The good thing about the class periods being shorter is that most classes weren’t very tedious and not a lot was actually going on,” Alex Thomas (11) said. “It was a good day.”

Some sports practiced earlier, which gave students more time to relax or do schoolwork. Students whose practice times remained the same used the extra hours after school for various activities.

“I’m just using the time to catch up on work, because usually with volleyball I don’t have much time to do my homework after. So it’s a good time to do it,” Divya Kalidindi (12) said.

First semester comments are written only for freshmen, seniors, and those taking semester courses. Comment and grade review will occur for all students on Thursday and Friday