Niki Iyer wins Santa Clara County girl athlete of the week

Niki runs in the Crystal Springs race, which she lead wire to wire. She felt that it was one of her most challenging races because of her unfamiliarity with the course.

Setting a school record, Nikitha Iyer (9) became the San Jose Mercury News’ Santa Clara County girl athlete of the week in the Crystal Springs Sierra Invitational on Saturday, October 12.

Niki, a freshman, ran the 2.95 mile Crystal springs course in eighteen minutes and three seconds, breaking the school record by 50 seconds. Iyer led the race wire to wire, placing first at the meet and ranking tenth all-time among the freshman who have ever raced at Crystal Springs.

“It was a very challenging race because I’ve never been there before,” Niki said. “I was really intimidated because there were really fast people and almost legendary people there. I was really scared and nervous.”

Each week, San Jose Mercury News awards two athletes, one girl and one boy, for his or her exceptional performance in the particular sport he or she plays. Many other Upper School students have been athletes of the week in the past, such as Daniza Rodriguez (‘13) for basketball and Sumit Minocha (‘13) for track.

“Niki is a fine young runner, very coach-able. Few runners her age can commit to running so fast and not be afraid to take the lead in big races”, said Coach Chisam in an email interview. “She has set three course records this year. The exciting thing is that this is just the beginning of a beautiful athletic career for Niki at Harker.”

Niki’s received her award two weeks before the end of the cross country season. The team will run in two weeks at the league finals to see if they qualify for CCS.

“I’m really proud about it because I expected to be athlete of the week in senior year. It’s pretty cool that I got chosen as a freshman,” Niki said.

Niki has always had a passion for running ever since the age of three. She hopes to follow her mother’s footsteps who has been a youth olympic athlete herself.

“Dont be nervous,” she said as advice to fellow runners. “Stress takes the energy out of you. Run with the techniques you know best.” Niki’s goal is to reach state championships and to continue winning as many races as she can.

The cross country team will race next on Thursday.