National Honor Society welcomes 36 new members

NHS President Vikas Bhetanabhotla announces inductees to the club in the Nichols auditorium. The annual induction occurred between 6 and 7 p.m. on Tuesday.

Parents, faculty, and students collected in the Nichols Auditorium Tuesday to attend the Upper School National Honor Society (NHS) induction.

Thirty-six students were inducted to the society with the traditional candle lighting ceremony. Sophomores, juniors, and seniors were eligible to apply and were chosen based on their essays and teacher recommendations.

“Obviously, conducting the ceremony, we need to believe in the ceremony,” Barth said. “With the lighting of candles, there’s going to be some spontaneity. There’s a lot of symbolism.”

The ceremony began at 6 p.m. with an introduction delivered by president of the society, Vikas Bhetanabhotla (12).

The four officers of NHS delivered speeches on the four pillars of NHS: leadership, scholarship, service, and character. Chapter advisor Julie Wheeler and Upper School teacher Damon Hallback followed with their remarks.

“I like the concept of the community service stuff and the idea of tutoring and helping out. ” Rishabh Chandra (10) said.

Previous members of the club that attended the event were honored by roses given by chapter advisor Mr. Evan Barth.

Nitya Mani (11) found her membership in National Honor Society enjoyable and rewarding. She came to the ceremony to watch her friends become newly inducted.

“I joined NHS last year, and its been really fun,” she said. “I liked tutoring and helping people feel better about themselves,” she said, referring to the volunteer opportunities she has participated in with the society.

After the ceremony, all attendees congregated in the Rotunda to enjoy coffee and pastries.

The officers and faculty advisors of the club regarded the new crop of members to be a welcome addition to the club. They look forward to their first meeting that will include the new inductees, yet to be set.