Five students selected for Honor Choir

Members+of+the+Upper+School+Choir+sing+at+a+concert+last+spring.+The+five+students+selected+to+perform+in+the+Honor+Choir+felt+that+participating+in+the+Upper+School+Choirs+prepared+them+well+for+this+opportunity.+

Members of the Upper School Choir sing at a concert last spring. The five students selected to perform in the Honor Choir felt that participating in the Upper School Choirs prepared them well for this opportunity.

The American Choral Directors Association selected five Upper School students to participate in the Coastal Region Honor Choir.

Four students, Simran Singh (11), Sahana Narayan (10), Maya Nandakumar (11), and Katie Chung (10) were named to the women’s choir. Ishanya Anthapur (11) was named to the mixed choir.

“They love to perform, not that that’s unique because we have a lot of kids here at Harker who love to perform,” Susan Nace, Upper School Choir Director said. “[These students] just decided that they’re going to take the next step.”

Each student faced two judges, singing a song that was Italian, arya, or classical. The students went on to sight-singing  and sang back a couple of notes played on the piano to display their ability to match pitch. The whole process lasted about 15 minutes.

While the students were auditioning individually for their spots in the National Honor Choir and did not compete directly, some students did feel a bit of the stress and tension of competition.

“It was about 15 minutes, a kind of nervous 15 minutes. But when I was done, I felt pretty good about what I had done,” Ishanya said. “There was definitely a little bit of competition, it was kind of awkward, because I thought I had done really well while others didn’t think that. But we all got in so it all turned out fine.”

The students felt that singing in the Upper School choir has helped them expand their skillset and are happy to explore the performing arts outside of school.

“I’m really excited to learn the fantastic repertoire and improve as a performer,” Sahana said. It’s such an incredible opportunity to have the chance to pursue our passion, so I’m extremely grateful that we were nominated.”

The five students auditioned in late September for the state level of the competition and wait to hear the results.

“I always feel blessed, whether or not my students go ahead and take these challenges,” Susan Nace said. “I’m just lucky to be teaching at an incredible place with all these incredible students. Its not just these kids, but all these kids that I teach.”