Free dress instituted to honor Mr. Berry

Students were encouraged to wear Harker jerseys, club or class T-shirts, or jerseys of sports teams to honor English teacher and coach Jason Berry. Berry died of a heart problem Saturday morning in his home.

Upper School students were given free dress on Thursday, August 29, in honor of English teacher and coach Jason Berry’s death.

In an email sent out on Wednesday evening, Upper School Dean of Students Kevin Williamson informed faculty and students that the following day would be a free dress day at the Upper School.

“The family is asking for everyone to wear a Harker jersey, club or class T-shirt or jersey of your favorite team,” Williamson said in the email, “They know he would love casual, spirited dress, and wouldn’t want anything that felt formal or stuffy.”

Students were also encouraged to wear orange, purple, and white in honor of Clemson University, Berry’s alma mater.

“I thought it was a good way to let the students who knew him kind of mourn over his loss and a good way to appreciate him,” Yasemin Narin (10) said.

Sophomore Alisa Wakita agreed that free dress served as a way of remembrance.

“I think it was really supportive of him. I think he’d be happy if he was watching,” she said. However, she added that she thought “some people took advantage of it, like the people who didn’t know him,” she said.

In addition, a special schedule was instituted to accommodate Berry’s memorial, which was held at WestGate Church in Saratoga, with a reception taking place at the Upper School afterwards. Students and faculty were dismissed at 2 p.m. and had the option of taking a shuttle to attend the service.

“I thought the administration did a good job in making sure we could take advantage of time in our classes, but also had the opportunity to go to the memorial and had the option of a shuttle,” Lekha Chirala (11) said.

Students who were able to attend the service found it to be a touching communal gathering.

“The memorial showed how much the community actually loved Mr. Berry and it really displayed how different Harker is from other schools. The students care for the teachers so much, just how the teachers feel the same way about the students,” John Hughes (12) said.

Though this death greatly jolted the Upper School community, students and faculty honoring Jason Berry through school spirited free dress helped keep his memory alive.