Upper School Welcomes Class of 2017 with Fun-Filled Freshman Orientation

The incoming class of 2017 was treated to a day of fun, games, and team-building on Davis field during the freshmen orientation.

Following a brief introduction by Freshman dean Jeffrey Draper in the gym, the advisories were given time to interact and get to know each other before moving to Davis field for a day of activities.

“I’m pretty much nervous because I’m going to meet some new people, [but] it’s going to be awesome,” Edward Tischler (9) said. Advisories filled out social Bingo questionnaires and played games such as the Human Knot.

On Davis Field, advisors, advisees, and Link Crew members played a variety of games under the direction of Shaw Dunton, director of Apex Adventures, and the Apex Adventures team. The various activities included the Triangle Walk, Centipede Walk, Number Stomp, Water Tube, and Card Sort events. Additionally, advisories could visit Singh Aquatic Center to swim or relax on the bleachers. Several freshmen were excited about making new friends on the Upper School Campus.

“It feels interesting to be new,” Raveena Kapatka (9) said. “I’m going to meet a lot of new people, so it’s going to be different,”.

Throughout the day, advisories were accompanied by members of the Link Crew, who participated in the games with the students.

“[My responsibilities are] to ensure that it’s a really safe environment for the freshmen and that it’s a lot of fun,” Link Crew member Darby Millard (11) said.

The activities were interrupted in the middle of the day for a lunch break, during which freshmen sat with their advisors and Link crew members. After lunch, the entire class participated in a “Rock, Paper, Scissors” tournament before resuming the regular activities. The advisories rotated through the activities in 20 minute intervals so that each advisory had the opportunity to play each game throughout the afternoon.

“The centipede [walk] was pretty fun. The sprinklers went on while we were playing, but otherwise it was pretty good,” Jordan Murtifm (9) said.

At the end of the orientation, Draper practiced a fire drill with the freshmen before dismissing them for popsicles. The newly formed advisories will continue to strengthen their team-building and spirit when they meet again on Matriculation Day.