Celebrations: Valentine’s Day around the globe

Valentine’s Day chocolates topple over one another. In America, couples express their love for one another by gifting presents ranging from chocolates to expensive jewelry.

In the United States, people celebrate Valentine’s Day with chocolate, roses, and romantic gestures. Meanwhile, around the globe, individuals come together to celebrate their love in a different style.

France: Ah, the land of love and the origin country of Valentine’s Day. In the middle ages, St. Valentine defied the church and married young couples in secret. Today, lovers exchange love letters when the birds begin to mate around the 14th of February.

Japan: Because of a mistake an American company made when attempting to bring Valentine’s Day to Japan, it was misunderstood that only women give men chocolates on the holiday. Each year, women buy chocolate for friends and family in addition to Hom-mei, a special type of chocolate specifically for boyfriends and husbands. One month later, men return the favor on White Day, March 14.

United Kingdom: Following Shakespeare’s legendary example, Brits write sonnets and verses to one another in addition to exchanging cards, chocolates, and the usual flowers. Children celebrate the occasion by spending the day singing love songs and romantic ballads instead of sitting in a classroom.

Canada: Throughout the country, thousands of Valentine’s Day balls and parties are organized and held. Couples and singles can dance the night away, young and old.

South Africa: In Africa, Valentine’s Day is a week-long celebration. Young girls celebrate a tradition called “Lupercalia,” which requires them to pin the name of their lover on their sleeve.

India: Valentine’s Day is a recent development in India. Like in Africa, the festivals are week-long. Television, newspapers, and media overhype the holiday, much like they do here.

Italy: In addition to exchanging flowers and chocolate, couples exchange more extravagant gifts such as cologne and diamond jewelry.

Scotland: Scottish culture celebrates a tradition called “The Search of the Valentine Date.” During this time, Scottish people celebrate a romantic day with a complete stranger. The first man or woman a person sees on the street becomes his or her Valentine for the day.

China: Since Valentine’s Day follows shortly after Chinese or Lunar New Year, it is only natural that people would visit a temple on Valentine’s. Couples visit “Temple of Matchmaker” and pray for happiness and future marriage whereas single people visit to pray for luck in finding love.