Gatorade provides drinks for winter athletes

Gatorade representative Laurie Lindner speaks to athletes about sports nutrition. Next week, Gatorade will be providing a series of its products for winter athletes to try.

Gatorade representative Laurie Lindner visited the Upper School yesterday to introduce a promotion in which Gatorade products will be provided to athletes to encourage healthy pre- and post-workout eating.

From Monday, December 10 to Wednesday, December 12, athletes in winter sports will be able to try products from Gatorade’s G-series, which is organized into three categories: Prime, Perform, and Recover, meant for before, during, and after workouts respectively.

“[Prime] is vitamins and carbs, everything your body is going to burn off. It’s going to give you that energy to go on and be able to perform at your top level,” Lindner said.

Perform is the classic Gatorade drink, which focuses on replenishing electrolytes. Though Gatorade is usually provided for athletes during games, next week it will also be available during practices.

Finally, Recover comes as two types of protein-rich drinks, both of which are part of next week’s program. Lindner explained that consuming protein within 20 minutes of exercising is essential for regenerating muscle and reducing soreness.

According to Lindner, the purpose of the promotion is to emphasize the importance of good sports nutrition.

“A lot of times, [athletes] hear this from their trainers and coaches, but hearing it from someone else and having products available may help enforce the message,” she said.

Junior Kevin Moss, who plays on the Varsity boys’ soccer team, looks forward to trying the Gatorade products.

“I think if they just told us ‘get fuel in you before’ and ‘replenish with protein after,’ we wouldn’t listen,” he said. “Since we actually get to try out the products, we see the effects, and it gets us into the proper habits.”

On the other hand, Varsity girls’ basketball player Rebecca Liu (12) thought that Lindner could have better explained the details of the program.

“I feel like she had good intentions, but she might’ve been able to sell her products a bit better,” she said. “She could have been a bit more specific about what’s in [the products] because just saying protein isn’t enough.”

Rebecca did agree with Lindner’s overall message of maintaining a balanced workout diet. At the meeting, Upper School athletic trainer Jaron Olson also focused on this aspect of the promotion.

“We’re getting a lot of free stuff and it’ll be cool, but the same things apply for regular eating,” he said. “You can get that [nutrition] from real food, but you have to eat that real food and time it right.”

The Gatorade products will be available for winter athletes next week outside the athletic training room, as well as at practice locations such as the gym and Davis Field.