Students for Charitable Causes club holds food drive

The Students for Charitable Causes club (SFCC) posted fliers around campus to increase awareness of their canned food drive for the Second Harvest Food Bank. The club will be ending its food drive on November 16.

On Tuesday, November 6, the Students for Charitable Causes club (SFCC) began their annual Thanksgiving food drive.

The first of many planned reminders this year, co-president Glenn Reddy (10) delivered an announcement informing the school about the start of the drive.

The food drive is a campaign collecting canned and other non-perishable foods in large bins placed around campus. The club will then deliver the food to the Second Harvest Food Bank, which will give the goods to families for Thanksgiving.

Last year, the club aimed to increase school-wide participation by transforming the collection of food into a class competition. This year, the club has continued the tradition, promising the winning class donuts. However, this year, according to the club’s officers, participation from students has noticeably decreased.

“In the past, we’ve received a lot of food from students, like the bins have been overfilled. This year, it’s a little slower, but we hope once we start announcing and reminding people that they’ll bring in food,” club member Sophia Shatas (10) said.

The club posted large posters around school, including in front of Dobbins Hall, the entrance to Shah Hall, and in front of Manzanita. Apart from the food drive, the club aims to raise money to support another cause of their own choosing.

“At the beginning of the year, we pick a charity that we’re going to donate to, and then in the spring, we collect a bunch of items, have a garage sale, [and] donate the proceeds [from the sale] to our cause,” co-president Jeremy Binkley (10) said.

The club plans to donate to the organization Embrace, which gives insulators to young babies in countries where modern medicine and incubators are not available. However, this fall and winter, they will be focusing primarily on the food drive.

SFCC’s drive will end on November 16, after which the food collected will be donated to the food bank.