JSA hosts biennial Pizza and Politics event

Students+discuss+the+presidential+election+as+polling+results+were+revealed+at+Pizza+and+Politics.+Hosted+by+JSA%2C+the+event+allowed+students+to+watch+and+converse+about+the+election+while+enjoying+a+slice+of+pizza+with+friends.+
Students discuss the presidential election as polling results were revealed at “Pizza and Politics.” Hosted by JSA, the event allowed students to watch and converse about the election while enjoying a slice of pizza with friends.

At 5 p.m. on Election Night, members of the Upper School community gathered in the Bistro for “Pizza and Politics” to watch and discuss the election results while enjoying a dinner of pizza and soda.

The event, hosted by JSA, lasted for 1.5 hours and was attended by approximately 65 students and faculty members.The gathering was open to both JSA and non-JSA members and aimed to provide an impartial environment in which individuals can freely express their opinions.

“It’s basically a free forum for anyone to discuss any political idea or opinion that they have without being shut down by someone else. Anyone can voice their own opinion about [the election],” Reyhan Kader (12) said.

Many attendees felt that the event was successful and that it effectively emphasized the significance of the election. Chemistry teacher Rachel Freed shared her opinions on the political framework of the elections in relation to the event.

“I think the election is really important, and I love that the students of the high school level and younger are getting exposed to the idea,” she said. “It feels like with the state of the country in general, there’s a lot riding on [this election]. It’s just going to be a big change in a lot of policies, and that will affect huge numbers of people.”

Organized by JSA officers, Pizza and Politics has become a biennial tradition since 2004, when George W. Bush ran against John Kerry for president. The event was designed to not only increase political interest in the community, but also publicize the intentions and ideas behind JSA.

“The whole idea of JSA is to encourage youth political activism. It’s not to say that I want you to vote for Obama [or] I want you to vote for Romney,” JSA advisor Daniel Hudkins said. “It’s that I want you to believe that you have the power to make a difference.”

Although most students proved to be in support of Obama, many agreed that this election would be neck and neck, making it into one of the closest presidential polls in American history.

“I think this is a very, very important election, even more important than the last one that happened between Obama and McCain,” JSA president Sachin Vadodaria (11) said. “I think this is because we’re seeing a battle not just between two different people, but a battle of two different ideologies and two different paths of America. One will definitely hurt America and one will definitely help America. So, it’s up to the people to decide which path they want to take.”

On a similar note, Anna Kendall (11) expressed her opinions on the poll as well.

“I think this election is a big turning point,” she said. “It can either continue with Obama’s plans or it can just completely undo everything he did. So I think it’s just a big turning point in America’s next four years.”

Pizza and Politics will continue to uphold its tradition in 2014 during the elections of the Senate.

Contributing to the article: Ashi Gautam