NHS induction ceremony welcomes 50 new members

Junior Nathan Dhablania lights a candle, signifying his commitment to the National Honor Society’s values of leadership, scholarship, service, and character. Held in the Nichols Auditorium on Tuesday, October 16, the NHS induction ceremony welcomed 50 new members this year.

A candle-lighting ceremony this evening inducted 50 new members to the National Honor Society (NHS). Speeches were made by the current officers and faculty council to welcome the new additions.

The ceremony opened with an introduction by society president Jenny Chen (12), who also stated the four pillars of NHS: Leadership, Scholarship, Service, and Character.

Following her description of the values imbued in leadership, society officers Keri Clifford (12), Samantha Hoffman (12), and Ria Desai (12) each talked about their respective pillars. NHS members were inducted based on these characteristics and will be expected to uphold them throughout their time in the society.

“I like Leadership because I’m in Link Crew right now, and I feel like that’s a good application of leadership,” Josh Bollar (12) said, adding that he is most looking forward to the mentorship NHS members provide to younger children as part of their services.

After the officers’ speeches, Jenny led the inductees on a reading of the pledge, a 34-word vow printed at the back of each person’s program. English teacher Jennifer Siraganian and Psychology teacher Kelly Horan addressed the new members, commemorating their admission. Vice President Ria then called the inductees to the stage, where they lit an individual candle and received a certificate.

“It’s exciting because NHS is a very prestigious society,” Simran Singh (10) said.

After participating in NHS for two years, Ria’s point of view towards the society has changed from when she was first inducted in her sophomore year.

“At my induction, I thought it was a very formal society. Now we all have a lot of fun when we meet in Ms.Siraganian’s room and when we talk about all the different events,” she said.

Applicants were admitted based on four personal essays and three teacher recommendations. Open to grades 10 through 12, the society also requires a cumulative grade point average of 3.7 or above. According to Dean of Studies and faculty council member Evan Barth, more students were inducted this year than in any of the past three years.

“What impressed me most was the quality of the applications,” Siraganian said. “All of the applicants were so honest in how they described why they wanted to be in NHS and how they viewed their character or leadership.”

Avinash Nayak (11) was grateful for the opportunity to continue improving his character.

“I think I needed [the pillars] just to fill out the application because the application was very serious, almost like a mini college application. I think once I have a year of the society within my memory, I’ll really remember to use these types of qualities [that NHS values],” he said.

Murthy Bhetanabhotla, father of Vikas Bhetanabhotla (11), expressed that amid the commitments of schoolwork and extracurricular activities, “it’s important to find a passion or interest in something else also.”

NHS members are required to fulfill a minimum of 100 points per year. Points are earned through society activities, including volunteering and other methods of service.