Humans of Harker: Expression of elegance

Callie Yuan uses fashion and dance as a medium for change
“Fashion has shaped who I am, because it has taught me a lot about finding my own voice and not being influenced by other people’s thoughts. With fashion, 60% of the art is self expression: you can make anything and you can interpret anything in any way. I like that a lot, because it just gives me a way to interpret how I want to express myself and how I feel about myself,” Callie Yuan (’24) said. (Medha Yarlagadda)

Callie Yuan (’24) fondly recalls her first fashion week: making her way to her designated seat surrounded by all the fashion icons she always looked up to, the lights dimming as the models started making their way down the runway, watching the unveiling of the newest pieces of her favorite brands from up close. Being able to see firsthand, through a live lens, all the details and intricacies of the latest collections, materials ranging from tweed and silk to everything in between — it was magical. 

Beginning late in middle school, Callie started exploring the realm of fashion, her interests quickly reflecting in her daily outfits. Every day, she challenged herself to come up with a new outfit — a new combination of accessories, colors, and patterns reflecting her personality  or how she was feeling on a particular day.

“To me, fashion is a mechanism of self expression,” Callie said. “It’s how I make first impressions and how I radiate my energy to others. It is also a connection of me to art.”

Art as a whole has played a significant role in shaping Callie. She enjoys art’s ability to provide perspective and the range of interpretations such a medium offers. But beyond expressing herself through fashion, Callie has grown up expressing herself through dance. 

“In dance, it is a lot of conveying emotions through your body,” Callie said. “Similar to how in fashion, I convey my energy and my personality through what I wear, in dance, I convey that with my emotions, my facials, and how I perform. When I dance, it’s like I’m in a different realm with myself, with my friends, and with my teammates.”

Close friend Anjali Yella (’24) expands on the layered personality Callie brings throughout her art forms. The same energy and personal touch reflected in Callie’s fashion and dance translates to her relationships. 

“Callie’s always really bubbly and thoughtful,” Anjali said. “She is the type of friend to show up unannounced with flowers or bring you your favorite food if you are down. She just always thinks about other people.” 

Close friend Jonathan Zhang (’24) also similarly echoes the sentiment about Callie’s loving and supportive nature.

“She will always put others first and prioritize everyone’s wellbeing,” Jonathan said. “Even if she is struggling with something, she provides a beacon of positivity that really helps brighten everyone’s mood.”

Through art, school, and her relationships, Callie has understood the importance of maintaining a positive presence. 

“It is important to me to keep a positive outlook as well as be the positivity that my friends can lean on,” Callie said. “Being able to look at the bright side of things helps me overcome challenges or obstacles easier, as well as bringing out the best in everyone.” 

Advisor Michael Acheatel met Callie in ninth grade during online school, and commends her growth towards employing a positive attitude to become a better version of herself. 

“I think before there was a sense of frustration or annoyance especially when doing things she did not necessarily enjoy,” Acheatel said. “But over time I have really seen her turn a page whether it is finding what she does enjoy even if it is something she has to do or a new level of maturity in the way she approaches things. Now, rather than simply going through the motions, I have noticed growth in terms of her efforts towards her hobbies and interests.”

Callie has reflected tremendous growth in understanding herself and being true to herself. Through reforming her attitude and through developing new methods of expressing herself, Callie has evolved into a more authentic and confident person. 

“I think fashion particularly has shaped who I am, because it has taught me a lot about finding my own voice, not being influenced by other people’s thoughts,” Callie said. “Being able to choose from so many different things has also helped me build more consistent decision making skills while also becoming more comfortable in my own skin as well. With fashion, 60% of the art is self expression: you can make anything and you can interpret anything in any way. I like that a lot, because it just gives me a way to interpret how I want to express myself and how I feel about myself.”