Humans of Harker: Singing with sincerity

Katelyn Hsu finds her path through performanc
Ananya Sriram
“In a way, I just don’t really care about what I’ve heard about other people. A lot of people have different opinions and opinions will clash, so I feel like it’s best to form my own opinion from my own interactions. As cliche as it sounds, treat others how you want to be treated,” Katelyn Hsu (12) said.

Katelyn Hsu (12) knows her routine. She gets nervous jitters before she goes on stage, but she tells herself that whatever happens, happens. As she has done countless times before, she will walk calmly onto the stage, smile at the audience, and look at the conductor for direction. Her nerves will disappear when she takes a deep breath and begins sings, enrapturing a quiet audience as they listen to her voice tell a captivating story.

Whether performing with the upper school a cappella group Cantilena, practicing with her choir in the Crystal Children’s Choir organization, or singing a solo piece on stage, Katelyn has found value in sharing her music with an audience ever since she began singing in fifth grade. Throughout the years, however, her style of singing has not stayed so constant as she explored and experimented with different genres.

Although Katelyn’s singing teacher first encouraged Katelyn to sing classical songs because her voice was well-suited for classical music, Katelyn found the style uninteresting. She switched to musical theater in sixth grade and sung pieces from various musicals and movies. However, while practicing at home during the pandemic, Katelyn realized that she wanted to begin singing classical again. 

“You realize that with classical music, because it’s in a different language most of the time, like Italian or German, you have to make that extra effort to translate your lyrics to actually understand everything you’re singing about,” Katelyn said. “You get this added depth. I realized that you don’t get that with musical theater.”

Katelyn joined the upper school choir Bel Canto in her freshman year and auditioned for Cantilena in her sophomore year. That same year, she won a semifinalist award for the Butler University Vocal Competition and earned a distinction in the National Student Auditions competition. Through her years of practice and achievement, Katelyn enjoys her routine of practicing.

“It’s a really good stress reliever because you’re being really loud, but in a way that doesn’t harm your throat,” Katelyn said. “It’s a nice ritual or a nice habit to have. You start out with the easier exercises to wake it up. And then you do the ones that expand your range and that test your lung capacity, because you might run out of air. And it’s nice to hear my voice just blossom from it.” 

Both during practice and performance, Katelyn pays close attention to fellow choir members to create a harmonious sound, and she shares this same care throughout her life. She makes an effort to truly observe those around her rather than just seeing them at a superficial level.

“I would say that singing has made me more aware, because in choir you have to listen so that you can match other people’s tones,” Katelyn said. “When I’m about, I listen a bit more. In classroom discussions, I make sure that everyone has something to say. If someone accidentally interrupts someone, I make sure we loop back to the person who got interrupted to make sure everyone is heard.”

Katelyn’s care for friends and strangers alike is clear to anyone who interacts with her. Close friend Harshini Chaturvedula (12) remarks on how her first impression of Katelyn has changed. 

Katelyn can be really assertive, but when you really know her, you realize that she’s really sweet, and she cares for her friends a lot,” Harshini said. “She’s our mom friend. She looks out for others around her. She stands in her mental state very strongly, and I admire that a lot in her.”

Katelyn’s friends strongly emphasize her unique ability to be confident and clear in her own decisions and opinions. Close friend Claire Bauschlicher (12) describes this confidence as something that has remained constant since they met in ninth grade. 

“Katelyn knows exactly what she likes,” Claire said. “She’s very clear about what she thinks, what she wants. She really stands up for what she believes in.” 

Katelyn’s strong convictions and unwavering clarity of thought extends to one of her most passionate beliefs: treating others with compassion and respect, no matter who they are. 

“In a way, I just don’t really care about what I’ve heard about other people,” Katelyn said. “A lot of people have different opinions and opinions will clash, so I feel like it’s best to form my own opinion from my own interactions. As cliche as it sounds, treat others how you want to be treated.”

Katelyn’s authenticity, constant endeavor to do what she believes in and love for singing has allowed her to grow through the years as an artist, leader and friend. Vocal music teacher and Cantilena director Susan Nace, who has known Katelyn since her ninth grade, explains what she admires in Katelyn.

“Katelyn is sincere,” Nace said. “She is genuine. She doesn’t wear any masks. What you see with her, it’s just all Katelyn. And that’s why people trust her and respect her, because she speaks her mind and speaks passionately.”