Humans of Harker: From small moments to big causes

Cynthia Wang inspires positive change while exploring the world around her
Michelle Wei
“Keep looking forward, never stop being optimistic. There’s not enough time in the world to experience everything, and why waste time by being pessimistic? I always try to find the good parts in everything. Even if I find myself at a standstill, like if I don’t know what to do in the future, just do something. It doesn’t matter if it turns out with a good outcome or a bad outcome. I just always want to be out, always moving, always trying new things,” Cynthia Wang (12) said.

You might find her doubled up with laughter in the orchard with her friends. Or admiring a sunset as soccer practice comes to a close. Or tirelessly working to put together the next school meeting. From small moments to big causes, Cynthia Wang (12) colors the world around her through her infectious energy and passion.

Cynthia ran for her first elected student council position in fourth grade. Since then, she has continued leading the community through student council and spirit, now serving as ASB Secretary.

“I always see things that I think could be improved at school or in my local community,” Cynthia said. “It could be things like student stress or school culture, or maybe bigger topics like gender imbalances in student leadership organizations. And when I see a problem, I always want to fix it. Starting in fourth grade, I became motivated to help people around me who are affected by those same issues.”

Cynthia’s efforts to drive positive change have not only impacted the school but also contributed to her growth. Often navigating a multitude of differing opinions, she has learned to balance advocating for her own beliefs while remaining receptive to those of others.

In her sophomore year, Cynthia contributed to re-writing the school dress code following student complaints about its fairness. Although she was one of only three girls in a 20 person student council, this imbalance only furthered her motivation to remove sexist language from the dress code.

“It was really hard to bridge the gap of understanding not only in the school community, but also Student Council,” Cynthia said. “But by being open to new opinions, I was able to play a part in rewriting the dress code. I feel proud of what I contributed to helping rewrite the dress code and making the school community a more positive place.”

Outside of school, Cynthia also connects with her community through service. Being able to contribute to a larger cause while gaining new perspectives motivates her to continue giving back to her community.

“I really like community service because it’s a chance to learn from those around me, and there’s never a limit to learning in my opinion,” Cynthia said. “I really value helping the community and working for causes greater than myself.”

In particular, Cynthia volunteers for Polyphony Lit, a literary magazine aiming to highlight literary voices worldwide. Her role as an editor opens her up to a kaleidoscope of new perspectives. 

Aside from editing others’ submissions, Cynthia also makes her own voice heard through creative writing. In the wake of the #StopAsianHate movement in 2020, Cynthia turned to poetry as an avenue to express her own emotions amid a chaotic time in the world. Inspired by both the outdoor world and inward thoughts, her poetry has shifted over time to voice her perspectives on the issues surrounding her. 

“After seeing a lot of divisiveness in my local community, especially between people of different backgrounds, I decided to join Polyphony Lit as a way to not only express my frustration but also work toward a solution that could benefit the greater good,” Cynthia said. “It’s easy to feel powerless in a world of divisiveness for me, but my poetry is something I can control and shape however I like, and that gives me the freedom to advocate for causes larger than myself.”

Cynthia finds similar freedom in the outdoors, immersing herself in a world away from the stresses of high school.

“The outdoors is a place for me to reinvent myself,” Cynthia said. “It gives me a lot of freedom. In every national park I go to, I know I’m never going to see the same views, but no matter what I see, I find something beautiful. Being surrounded by nature, far away from big cities, gives me the freedom to explore. I can let go of all my daily obligations to just enjoy the moment.”

Cynthia also enjoys the outdoor world through soccer. Having played the sport for the last 11 years, she has developed a strong sense of resilience and open-mindedness. But what she values most are the bonds she has formed with teammates both inside and outside Harker. As captain of the upper school girls soccer team, Cynthia fosters a supportive, close-knit team environment.

“What I most cherish is the bonds I formed with my teammates,” Cynthia said. “We’re all very competitive, and we all want to do our best. Being around that high pressure environment motivates me to do better, and do better for my team as well. Soccer has been such an integral part of my life for like the last 11 years. I can’t imagine my life without soccer.”

Upper school economics teacher Sam Lepler, who taught Cynthia in her sophomore and senior years, notes her growth throughout high school into a kind, friendly and confident leader.

“I’ve just seen her grow into a really confident and strong person,” Lepler said. “She has a way of bringing you in, of getting you excited to be around her, getting you excited to chat with her and to explore with her. Her friendliness and kindness and down to earth nature are her biggest strengths.”

Close friend Kaitlyn Wang (12) appreciates her open personality and willingness to help others. She admires Cynthia’s ability to balance her myriad passions while making time for others.

“Cynthia is always open and willing to help, and you can see that her peers also see that, so they’ll naturally gravitate to ask her for help,” Kaitlyn said. “A lot of things she does are really genuine, and she puts her heart into it. She has a lot of balance between what she’s passionate about, like sports or academics or social stuff, which is rare in high school.”

Chloe Lee (12), who met Cynthia in sixth grade, also admires Cynthia for her openness and ability to connect with others, supporting and uplifting those around her.

“Whenever I’m walking next to Cynthia, she can say hi to anyone she meets and then start up a conversation, whether it be other students, faculty, or even lunch staff,” Chloe said. “She’s so involved with so many things: student council, soccer, her own academics, but then she always has room for her friends, and she’s always so supportive. She always makes time for everyone.” 

Cynthia forms connections with many people around her, and she values and nurtures each of her relationships. Channeling a deep sense of caring — for her friends, her soccer team, her community — into every moment, Cynthia continues to find new ways to explore and make a positive impact.

“Keep looking forward, never stop being optimistic,” Cynthia said. “There’s not enough time in the world to experience everything, and why waste time by being pessimistic? I always try to find the good parts in everything. Even if I find myself at a standstill, like if I don’t know what to do in the future, just do something. It doesn’t matter if it turns out with a good outcome or a bad outcome. I just always want to be out, always moving, always trying new things.”