Humans of Harker: Forums of confidence and connections

Max Xing elevates others through power of speech
Kevin Zhang
“Speech and debate is a wonderful way for people to find their voice, learn how to speak up, how to think quickly on their feet and how to articulate their ideas extremely clearly. Talking through arguments, what makes a good speech, what are some aspects of public speaking such as eye contact or expressiveness, or changing the tone of your voice — these are all aspects that I strive to pass down and spread to people around me,” Max Xing (12) said.

Frantic thoughts raced through Max Xing’s (12) mind as one last competitor unleashed a barrage of arguments through the computer screen during the online 2022 Tournament of Champions (TOC) semifinals. The pressure to counter the opposition’s points and close out the public forum debate rested on Max’s shoulders. The unpredictability of each point caught Max off guard, but as he continued to absorb and process his opponents’ words, ideas began to coalesce, formulating into cleverly-crafted responses in his mind. With his own arsenal ready, Max unmutes himself for his turn to deliver his final arsenal of statements, determining which team would emerge victorious. 

“I remember the moment afterward when we leaned back in our chairs, waiting for the decision,” Max said. “Moments like that were really nerve wracking. But my partner and I were confident that we’d won and we were proud of ourselves for doing all that we did.

Max came a long way to reach the TOC Finals, as he struggled to overcome some barriers in speech and debate when he first started. He initially gravitated to his particular event, public forum, not for the exhilaration of stepping onstage and competing against an opponent but rather for the preparation behind the scenes. Public forum topics switch every one to two months, which also sparked his curiosity and learning.

“It’s always about current events, so I loved how I could research current events and get more up to date knowledge about what’s happening in the world,” Max said. “At the same time, I got to discuss arguments regarding these topics with peers who are just as dedicated to debate. Throughout middle school, I liked to go to tournaments where I could meet new people and discuss these arguments with people whose perspectives I’ve never heard before.”

Even now, the pursuit of learning new things and assimilating other people’s perspectives still appeals to Max as one of the most rewarding parts of debate preparation. Max finds working closely with fellow peers, sharing his ambitions in speech and debate and reaching fascinating findings with others truly fulfilling.

“Moments where you spend late nights with your partner or a small group of friends or a prep group, and you talk through an argument and dive through that rabbit hole,” Max said. “Where each person’s like, ‘Oh, I just found this’ or ‘This is something new, why haven’t we considered it from this angle?’ Those kinds of revelations are inspirational because a lot of people together have this shared common goal to get better, and just being part of that is something that’s super exciting.”

Beyond preparation for his event, Max reflects on the struggles that he faced in the earliest stages of his speech and debate career, as he felt tentative about actively speaking under the spotlight. However, he recognizes that these challenges helped him grow into a more confident individual.

“At first, it was hard for me to get used to hearing my voice and being confident on a stage where I was presenting my own ideas and everyone was listening to me, but I gradually fell in love with how public forum really challenged me,” Max said. “It really taught me a lot, and I could see my growth as a person outside of the extracurricular, and I think that those were really clear indicators that I was on the right path.”

Close friend Justin Chao (12), who first met Max in third grade through youth club basketball, narrates his first impressions of Max when they reunited in high school. He witnessed Max’s character development and admires how he became more self-assured over the years. 

“In the beginning of high school, he was taciturn and a little bit of a shy guy,” Justin said. “When he first came to Harker, he was sort of unsure about what he wanted from everything. But throughout his journey, he’s found his passion and sense of direction. As he grew throughout high school, he has gotten a lot more confident in himself.”

As a member of Harker’s speech and debate team throughout high school, Max’s commitment and enthusiasm earned him a position as team captain. He attributes his transformation in becoming a more outspoken person to his experiences in debate.

“Being on the debate team, finding my voice and being able to be comfortable speaking in crowds and voicing my own opinions — that’s influenced a lot of how I approach life,” Max said. “I’m unafraid to meet new people, talk to new people, speak up and speak out and I think that also plays a role in leadership, like encouraging other people around me to also use their voice.”

These core aspects of Max’s identity also translate to the realm of basketball. Harker varsity boys basketball assistant coach Eric Lee compliments Max’s ability to apply the skills and qualities garnered from speech and debate to leading teammates on the basketball court with his vocal character.

“Max combines his skill and talent with leadership that comes naturally to him to help other players find their way on the team,” Lee said. “He’s vocal, allowing other players to grow, be confident and play more aggressively, and he knows how to convey his message really well. Max is a really good team-chemistry player because he provides a lot to his teammates. Watching him grow into a young adult that can advocate for himself and others has been impressive and a lot of fun.”

Max’s self-confidence extends to his role as a team captain for the basketball team. He speaks his mind with good intentions for others and establishes himself as someone who can promote communication and accountability among teammates as well as asserting himself to support the team.

“One way I express myself is in basketball; I’m a pretty vocal person on the court,” Max said. “I like talking and I like leading and these are all aspects that stem from speech and debate. My confidence to speak out, my confidence to yell at someone to move and go through a screen or run a play or whatever it may be — I think it’s manifested in basketball.”

This facet of Max’s personality helps him cultivate meaningful connections with others who grow from his unique insights aided by self expression. Close friend Emily Kwan (12) attests to Max’s considerate and caring disposition, drawing upon personal experiences showcasing his compassion and inclination to embrace opportunities for helping others.

“He’s definitely someone that a lot of people go to for advice,” Emily said. “He has a really good perspective on life and is very realistic with advice. I’m someone who overthinks about a lot of things, so I always ask him for advice. And he’s always there to help because he helps me broaden my perspective and really ground myself, so he balances me when I’m overthinking by helping me see the bigger picture.”

A part of Max’s gregarious nature relates to his growth in debate, as he values how his experiences helped him harness the power of speech. His speech and debate journey helped him step out of his shell and transform into a more sociable individual.

In understanding the importance of speech, Max hopes to assist others in reaching the same discoveries as he has in speech, an essential skill he believes will take anybody far in life.

“Speech and debate is a wonderful way for people to find their voice, learn how to speak up, how to think quickly on their feet and how to articulate their ideas extremely clearly,” Max said. “Talking through arguments, what makes a good speech, what are some aspects of public speaking such as eye contact or expressiveness, or changing the tone of your voice — these are all aspects that I strive to pass down and spread to people around me.”