Humans of Harker: Exploration of expression

Brittany Tsui enhances community and self-exploration through art
“I love the actual process of making art. Envisioning and planning out an idea beforehand is really fun, and painting is also really satisfying, blending colors and piece by piece, making my art more and more realistic. The ending outcome is really satisfactory, because I can hang it up and it’ll always be with me,” Brittany Tsui (12) said. (Lily Shi)

A man sits alone on an airplane, his face just visible from across the aisle; a warm light illuminates his features while those around him are shrouded in darkness. Precise brushstrokes depict every detail of the serene image, from the deep blues and blacks engulfing the edges of the painting to the intricate lines reflecting light on the man’s face. It is scenes like this that Brittany Tsui (12) captures with sweeps of watercolor or gouache paint across a blank canvas. For her, art finds meaning in the process of its creation, the effort it takes to bring her artwork as close to perfection as possible. 

“I love the actual process of making art,” Brittany said. “Envisioning and planning out an idea beforehand is really fun, and painting is also really satisfying, blending colors and piece by piece, making my art more and more realistic. The ending outcome is really satisfactory, because I can hang it up and it’ll always be with me.”

Brittany took her first art class in kindergarten and continued studying art throughout elementary and middle school, sketching still life and painting with watercolor. In high school, her focus in art shifted from learning basic technique to creative expression, and she began creating artwork from her own ideas and experimenting with new materials. 

Although Brittany prefers watercolor and gouache paint, she also works with acrylics and oil paint, ink, and other unconventional types of art like monoprint, collage, and cardboard sculpture. Through Harker art classes and a summer art program at Rhode Island School of Design, Brittany greatly expanded both her range of skills and her willingness to experiment. 

“I was forced to try new mediums and new types of art, so in real life, I now feel more open to trying new things, like a new sport or hobby or interest,” Brittany said.  “Whereas before, I probably would have been like, ‘No, I’m probably not gonna be good at it and I’m too lazy to try.’ But I think now I’m trying to branch out my interests.”

In other forms of self-expression, Brittany also practiced piano and singing from a young age. Now, she uses the skills she honed to help others cultivate similar interests, allowing her to make an impact on the community at large. Every week, Brittany holds one-on-one classes to teach children from her neighborhood art, singing, and piano. 

“Doing so many things made me more open minded, but my skills also influence others in a good way,” Brittany said. “So my interests aren’t only for myself, but I want to share my talents with people so I can help them get better at it or be more passionate about it.”

Brittany’s inherent care for others stands out in the close relationships she holds with her friends. Close friend Heidi Lu (12), who has known Brittany since middle school, considers Brittany’s sincerity and integrity as one of her best qualities.

“She’s very straightforward and direct and she doesn’t like to sugarcoat things,” Heidi said. “When you need a real answer you can go to her and she’ll tell you exactly how it is. If you know that you’re in the wrong and you’re trying to convince yourself you’re right, then she’ll tell you to just take accountability for your actions.” 

Close friend Ella Lan (12) also admires Brittany’s authenticity and dedication to those she cares for. Ella reflects on her relationship with Brittany, which began in third grade and grew through shared interests and random conversations. 

“Brittany is very genuine,” Ella said. “She’s very authentic. She’ll always be there for you, and she will always defend you whenever you need it. I feel like in the past few years, she’s really been able to care much less about what others might perceive of her and just portray herself to her best. That’s something that really inspires me.”

Brittany’s growth in self-confidence shines through both her relationships and her willingness to follow her wishes without fear of judgment or failure.

“I don’t think you should listen to others’ opinions if you want to do something,” Brittany said. “You should just go ahead and do it, regardless if you’re gonna be good at it or not. Just because why not?”

Upper school mathematics teacher Caren Furtado, who taught Brittany for two years, admires her ability to prioritize and focus on what is important to her. Furtado commends Brittany for putting full effort into all her work, which is evident in everything from her schoolwork to her dedication to bring her art as close to perfection as possible. 

“In the last few years, she’s really learned that she has to make choices in terms of, ‘Okay, this is important to me, so I’m gonna focus on this,’” Furtado said. “She’s really learned that she can make these choices, and she makes them with a very empowered mindset. I hope she begins to recognize that she is very special, that she always holds herself accountable to the best possible thing she can do, and most people are very fortunate to know somebody like that.”