Humans of Harker: Through the looking glass

Passing down knowledge and experiences, Chloe Lee lights the way with empathy
“Along with motivation comes being able to adapt. Just because you fail the first time shouldn’t mean that whatever you’re doing isn’t right for you. Sometimes it just means that you have to improve on areas you’re weak on. By doing that, I learned that being motivated and having an open mindset is really what keeps me going,” Chloe Lee (12) said. (Jonathan Xue)

Reflective and transparent, glass is multifaceted in nature. Within its very substance lies infinite possibility, all captured in a single sheet. Peer deeply, and who knows what can be seen? A mirror, orienting the viewer to introspection. A window, opening the lens to another world. In the life of Chloe Lee (12), glass defines countless memories, from the fruits of hard-won DECA competitions to the mirrored reminders of taekwondo training. And just like glass, Chloe, adaptable and resilient in all she does, embodies the ideal of unbounded potential.

Only in light does glass fully display its array of capabilities. For Chloe, that light comes in the form of her community. Chloe’s most meaningful moments center around people, whether it be close friends or newfound acquaintances. It’s in these instances that her personality truly shines. 

“I value community because in high school, it’s really common for peers to get competitive against each other,” Chloe said. “But through DECA, I learned that being supportive, wishing for the best of your peers and doing the best for yourself as well, is really important. As a community, it’s best to be supportive.”

Chloe entered high school as a self-described introvert, initially hesitant to move past her network of close-knit friends. Nonetheless, curious about the program, she decided to join DECA, one of the largest organizations on campus, on a whim. Harboring an interest in the field of marketing, Chloe sought to learn more about the topic. 

“I met Chloe through DECA and I’ve known her for a couple of years now,” close friend Caleb Tang (11) said. “She’s nice and bubbly; she makes things fun because she can joke and it’s great. What makes Chloe a good friend is her humor — it’s very easy to laugh around Chloe.”

Chloe describes joining DECA as one of the most formative moments in her high school career, a decision that gave her the opportunity to meet similarly motivated individuals through conventions across the nation. The large, supportive community sparked Chloe’s love for the program, a love that continues to stay with her. It’s why, in her sophomore year, she so eagerly signed up to become a mentor for first-year DECA attendees. 

“When I first taught my mentees, when I saw them get on stage [for the first time], I felt so proud of them, that they learned everything I taught them and that they improved,” Chloe said. “I could see the improvement all the way from day one until now, [which] really kept me going.”

Chloe developed a greater confidence after seeing how her dedication inspired others. She recounts speaking to over 150 incoming students at DECA Launch soon after becoming a DECA officer, a feat she previously never thought possible. Now as DECA CEO, she traces that growth back to her first time attending DECA Launch and her first step in the Innovation Center. Holding these memories dear, Chloe hopes to help provide the same memorable experience for others, be it in DECA or beyond.

“We all face a lot of pressure in high school,” close friend Kaitlyn Wang (12) said. “High school is a hard time for us. But Chloe can find it in her heart to make it easier for everyone.”

One way Chloe finds relief from the everyday stresses of school is through taekwondo. After achieving the highest rank of fourth degree black belt, Chloe now spends more time teaching others than learning new techniques herself, and she often brings skills she developed through DECA to her leadership role as a junior instructor within her studio. Seeing others and herself improve day by day inspires Chloe to work harder, practice more.

“Along with motivation comes being able to adapt,” Chloe said. “Just because you fail the first time shouldn’t mean that whatever you’re doing isn’t right for you. Sometimes it just means that you have to improve on areas you’re weak on. By doing that, I learned that being motivated and having an open mindset is really what keeps me going.”

Training at the studio everyday is no easy feat, but Chloe’s philosophy on improvement, along with the cultural value Korean martial art taekwondo represents pushed Chloe to persevere. Similarly, grappling with the relative uniqueness of her Korean culture at school has made Chloe more cognizant of others and more sensitive to their struggles.

One idea Chloe emphasizes is that you never know exactly what someone else might be going through. This innate human condition moves her to be more empathetic and considerate towards others, regardless of the seeming circumstances. Especially in the little moments, Chloe explains, is it most important to be kind, a precept that she consistently strives for.

“Outside of school, you constantly meet strangers everyday, whether it be in the library, in the park or elsewhere,” Chloe said. “Even the smallest interactions can make a big impact sometimes, especially, if you just compliment someone, that one compliment can make someone’s day. The smallest actions can really make a big impact in the community.”

In that pursuit of connection, Chloe looks to create new opportunities for others, leading where she once followed. She infuses love with learning, dedication with discovery, pioneering paths from DECA to taekwondo. And through it all, Chloe remains steadfast, holding onto her own values while incorporating the perspectives of those around her into a confluence of community.

“One of Chloe’s greatest strengths is being able to get along with anyone,” close friend Cynthia Wang (12) said. “She has great energy that I can always count on her to lift my mood up, and she has a great sense of humor. She’s got such a fiery, big energy.”

That sense of connection paired with her vibrant personality defines Chloe’s interactions with others. Just like the emblematic diamonds of DECA, Chloe too shines forth, dazzlingly brilliant under the light of the world. Forged by the unique facets of her environment, she blazes forwards, inspiring individuals and cultivating communities wherever she may go.