Humans of Harker: Best foot forward

Rigo Gonzales builds momentum through running, encouraging those around him

Tiffany Chang

“On one hand, it’s a personal journey. I’ve had goals that I’ve always wanted to achieve. Doing track and training sometimes twice a day and putting in sometimes four hours in a single day gives me drive and passion that I can really share with others as well,” Rigo Gonzales (12) said.

100 meters to go. Positioned 20 meters ahead of Rigo Gonzales (12) is his final adversary, the only obstacle between him and Harker’s 400m relay victory. Rigo races forwards, but his opponent remains similarly swift. With the finish line just a few feet ahead, onlookers begin to gaze elsewhere, thinking they already know how this story will end. Yet with a sudden surge, Rigo defies all expectations as he takes the finish by storm, barely edging out his competitor. Stunned by the upset, his teammates skip a beat before breaking into cheers, their team having just won the first event of the year’s final meet. 

Before Rigo ever began running though, he first started with playing soccer, a sport that followed him for ten years before culminating in eighth grade. Having enjoyed the sprinting aspect of soccer immensely, he took on track in fourth grade and continued throughout high school. As running became a greater commitment for him, Rigo decided to eventually drop soccer, focusing all his efforts on track.

His decision to pursue track has introduced him to countless others who share the same ardor for running, and some of those connections have blossomed into long-lasting friendships. Having known many of his teammates since middle school, Rigo admires their sense of community and camaraderie, especially how they continually support each other. 

“For my core team [that] I run with every day, we’ve been running not only on the same track team, but in the same relay race,” Rigo said. “They’ve watched me grow as a person, but also as a runner. It’s amazing to see how they’ve all grown and how they’ve really become themselves.” 

Close friend and track teammate Armaan Thakker (12) remembers Rigo’s immediate warmth when he joined Harker in fifth grade and Rigo had helped him find friends. Even seven years later, Rigo emanates that same enthusiasm, offering continuous encouragement for his team and “having their best interests at heart.”

“He was always there for me and was always by my side,” Armaan said. “He always pushes people; he’s a leader. He dedicates himself to the things that are important to him. I’ve never met someone who is so driven, but also just such a leader that he drives other people to come along.” 

Surrounded by a family of runners growing up, Rigo’s commitment to fostering community in track stems from the support he received. For Rigo, his biggest inspirations are his siblings Corey Gonzales (‘16) and Lilia Gonzales (‘19), both for their athletic achievements and the hard work that they consistently demonstrate. Their constant effort and dedication to running catalyzed his own love for the sport, driving him to train tirelessly. 

“I’ve always looked up to both of them,” Rigo said. “My brother was a long-distance runner and my sister played three sports at Harker: soccer, cross country and track. I’ve just been surrounded by people who love sports and love running my entire life.”

In his sophomore year, Rigo and his teammates won the Central Coast Section (CCS) Championship relay race, having trained relentlessly in their pursuit of excellence. Afterwards, his goal became winning CCS as an individual, inspired by his siblings’ previous successes in their sports. 

“We had the best handoffs of our entire lives; everything was extremely smooth,” Rigo said. “It was a truly special moment for me that I’ll never forget — the realization of our collective goal to win CCS. We ran the best race of our lives. I always had a very distinct goal in mind, which was to win CCS, because my brother had done it.”

Yet besides the familial influence on his running, Rigo also finds fulfillment for himself. Backed by a community of other athletes, he commits himself to giving his all for track, motivated by his own love for the sport.

“On one hand, it’s a personal journey,” Rigo said. “I’ve had goals that I’ve always wanted to achieve. Doing track and training sometimes twice a day and putting in sometimes four hours in a single day gives me drive and passion that I can really share with others as well.”

Close friend Cassie May (12) admires Rigo’s hard work and diligence during the track season, noting that he is always willing to dedicate time to improve his skills. Throughout their freshman year cross country season, Rigo and Cassie constantly encouraged each other. 

“He’s a very warm person who’s always willing to talk to people and someone who anyone is okay with approaching,” Cassie said. “He’s also very invested and focused in what he does, which is sprinting, and he really takes great pride in doing what he does.”  

Yet Rigo’s journey is not without setbacks. Throughout his time as a runner, he has experienced many injuries that have affected him both physically and mentally.

“In sophomore year I strained my hamstring,” Rigo said. “Injuries are debilitating not only in the physical sense — you can’t physically do what you want to do — but mentally being sidelined and idle. I really wanted to go out there and improve and just run, get PRs and break records, but I was stuck in either physical therapy or the trainer’s trying to get better.”

Through all his trials and tribulations, upper school Athletic Director Dan Molin has witnessed Rigo’s growth. His diligence and leadership developed through experience, and these qualities are evident in his guidance of younger members on the cross country and track teams. 

“I’ve watched him throughout all of his athletic endeavors from cross country to soccer to track,” Molin said. “He’s just a very poised, wise leader. He’s such a great example for our younger athletes as well.”

Striving ever onwards, Rigo hopes to continue pursuing his running milestones, encouraging those around him in the process. A beacon of inspiration for those around him, he chases his ambitions relentlessly and never loses sight of his goals. 

“One of the biggest things beyond running being a personal journey is other people,” Rigo said. “The younger kids get inspired because they see how much work we’re putting in, and they see how much we want to win and how much we want to improve. As someone who loves the sport, it’s awesome to see how all these younger kids are finding a passion in track.”