Humans of Harker: A taste for change

John Cracraft brings charisma and positivity to the table

Tiffany Chang

“In freshman year, the pandemic hit. Starting junior year, I really started to think that I’d missed out on a lot of the fun and cool things. I wish I could have done Model UN and gone to those conferences, I wish I could have done DECA, and by junior year, I was too late. Because of that, I’ve decided to always take on whatever I can do and manage,” John Cracraft (12) said.

When John Cracraft (12) comes up in conversation, most people immediately picture a towering figure in the hallway, cracking jokes or proclaiming his love for chocolate milk. And while these are certainly facets of John’s personality, he also holds a variety of other pursuits close to his heart. From the fencing strip to the research lab, John is always ready to take on a new challenge.

But, as John explained, it was his love for chocolate milk that led him to pursue student government. While he initially ran for a position on senior council to bring the beverage back to Harker lunches, he soon discovered the wealth of opportunities that came with the role. Through his interactions with his peers and his participation in various school events, John realized that he had a unique perspective to offer and a desire to make a difference in his school community.

“My campaign started out as a meme,” John said. “It was all about bringing chocolate milk back, and we made funny posters and it became a fun pastime. I didn’t expect to win, but it’s a happy accident. It turned into something more, and I do really enjoy the work and the people that I work with now.”

Another factor that contributed to John’s decision to run for class council was his desire to try new things. For much of high school, the COVID-19 lockdown impacted his ability to participate in extracurricular activities and engage with his peers. This dearth of opportunities drove John to seek out new experiences, both planned and spontaneous, when he returned to campus in his junior year.

“In freshman year, the pandemic hit,” John said. “Starting junior year, I really started to think that I’d missed out on a lot of the fun and cool things. I wish I could have done Model UN and gone to those conferences, I wish I could have done DECA, and by junior year, I was too late. Because of that, I’ve decided to always take on whatever I can do and manage.”

John’s eagerness to dive into unfamiliar territories also applies to his academic pursuits. In his junior and senior years, John enrolled in the research elective to delve deeper into his fascination with science. 

Upper school science research teacher Chris Spenner, who met John through advisory and the research elective, commented on John’s ability to acknowledge his limitations and step outside of his comfort zone.

“He’s very comfortable saying, ‘Hey, I’m not an expert in this, I don’t really know the details, but here’s my thinking about it, and here’s some questions I have,’” Spenner said. “He definitely takes risks and tries things out.”

Currently, John is collaborating with close friend Raj Kalra (12) to develop a more cost-effective laser scanning microscope, capable of generating a topographical map of objects illuminated by the laser. Through their work in research and their friendship, Raj has observed a selfless quality in John.

“He tries to help other people a lot,” Raj said. “He’s outgoing and fun, and just wants to help. He will do a lot to help you and will sacrifice his own [work] for it.” 

While research and student council are pursuits he’s taken up more recently, John has been involved in competitive fencing since his childhood. Initially introduced to fencing by his father, a fellow fencer, John found himself drawn to the sport’s balance of mental strategy and physical endurance.

Now, he fences multiple times a week, taking lessons with his coach and practicing within a group setting. His experiences with the sport have shaped his life philosophy, helping him cultivate a mindset of resilience.

“Sometimes I make too many stupid mistakes and lose a match, and then I blame myself because that’s something I could have controlled and fixed, but that doesn’t last a long time,” John said. “[Instead], I think about those mistakes and practice what I need to rectify those mistakes. I can’t fix what happened yesterday, so there’s no use in being unhappy about it.”

John’s mindset of focusing on the future and not dwelling on the past guides him in his daily life. Whether he’s in the classroom or at a student council meeting, John’s charismatic humor belies his outspoken presence. He uses his voice to enact changes that he firmly believes in, whether that’s implementing lunchtime clean-up protocols or addressing chocolate milk shortages.

He also advocates for maintaining a positive outlook on life. Regardless of what he’s pursuing, John values the ability to learn and grow from his experiences, even if the outcome doesn’t go according to plan.

“I try to be a happy guy, because what’s the point of being unhappy all the time?” John said. “Life is probably going to work itself out unless I’m hit by a bus, right? Even then I can still go to college, get a job. I think you should try to control what you can, but when it comes to what’s outside of your control, just appreciate what you have.”