Humans of Harker: Pitches and particles

Anika Pandey expands her love for singing and nanoscience with confidence

Gemma Chan

“Singing alone can be isolating, but in a group like Cantilena, sharing experiences with one another is such a comforting feeling. With Cantilena, if you make a mistake, it’s not a big deal because everyone knows what it’s like. Having a bunch of like-minded people in one place is such a great experience because you meet a lot of people who are just as passionate about singing as you are,” Anika Pandey (12) said.

Anika Pandey (12) recalls an end-of-year performance from third grade, standing on stage, as hundreds of parents gazed up at her, eager for her performance to begin. With sweaty hands, clenched fists and a tapping foot, she stepped up to the microphone and began singing her first-ever performance.

When the performance ended, she was surprised to see teachers, parents and fellow classmates praising her for her voice, one that was not often used as a new student at a new school. From rarely speaking up as a child, Anika evolved into a person with a voice, gaining a boost of confidence that would stay with her for years to come.

The positive feedback from her peers and teachers ten years ago kickstarted the self-assurance that led her to join the upper school a cappella group Cantilena during her sophomore year. Cantilena expanded not only Anika’s musical abilities but also her social circle as, prior to high school, she had never experienced the sense of community that Cantilena fosters. 

“I’ve learned more about collaboration and how to collaborate,” Anika said. “I’ve formed close bonds with the people that I’ve been with in choir, and I’ve made new friends and grown a lot socially. Singing in a group is very different from singing alone — you have to listen to other people and acknowledge other people. The community is different in that way. It’s nice being one of many instead of just out there on your own.”

The confidence of third-grade Anika only grew after joining Cantilena. The supportive community within the choral group pushed her to recognize her vocal strengths and weaknesses, and gave her the tools to improve upon them.

“I’ve really improved on certain aspects of my singing that I wasn’t able to improve on, like my breath control,” Anika said. “I’ve become more confident in getting solos and singing alone especially since Cantilena is such a small group and everybody has a chance to shine. I’m also composing a piece for Cantilena for the spring which I didn’t ever think I could do.”

As Anika reflects on her decision to join Cantilena, she can confidently say she never once regretted it. The ensemble provided her with a nurturing environment, where she felt like she was part of a family.

“Singing alone can be isolating, but in a group like Cantilena, sharing experiences with one another is such a comforting feeling,” Anika said. “With Cantilena, if you make a mistake, it’s not a big deal because everyone knows what it’s like. Having a bunch of like-minded people in one place is such a great experience because you meet a lot of people who are just as passionate about singing as you are.”

Anika offers a similarly caring presence around her friends. Close friend Karina Chen (12) and Anika, who share a liking for the fictional Marvel character Loki, originally met at the Harker Summer Institute the summer before seventh grade. Eventually, they reconnected at a high school shadow day and agreed that if they both were admitted, they would be sure to befriend each other.

“We don’t have any classes together which makes it hard to bond over things academically, but she’ll always walk me to class regardless,” Karina said. “She will give in to anything that makes me happy which I think genuinely makes her a good friend. You can trust her with anything and trust her to help you in general.”

Aside from finding her voice through singing, Anika also found her passion for nanoscience during the summer before sixth grade. After a nanoscience and nanotechnology exhibit at Germany’s Deutsches Museum caught her eye, she decided to pursue the field through research.

“It was cool to me that when you make things smaller, the properties would change,” Anika said. “One of the main exhibits was where you have a nanoscale coating on a fabric and then it becomes completely waterproof or super hydrophobic, and water simply flows off of it. Making the pattern smaller, increasing the surface area and the whole physical property of it was and is really interesting to me.”

As Anika developed her interest in nanoscience, she also grew as a student and person overall. Upper school music teacher and Cantilena director Susan Nace taught Anika for all four years of high school and witnessed her growth in numerous areas, especially her confidence around others and in her own abilities.

“Anika is a very quiet and capable person and that has never changed,” Nace said. “What has changed is her growth musically, her confidence, and her ability to take risks.”

Close friend Jessica Zhou (12) concurred with Nace in terms of Anika’s growth as a person. After meeting each other during ninth grade orientation, Jessica recalls playing mobile air hockey with Anika during an advisory group bonding session. 

“She was a quiet introvert when I initially met her but as I got to know her better, she’s so easy to get along with,” Jessica said. “It’s never boring around her because I can talk to her about anything, and she’ll make it a fun conversation. She always offers solutions when I need them and will help me cope with whatever situation I have going on.”

Whether through providing a shoulder for her friends to lean on, researching the field of nanoscience or continuing her pursuit of music, Anika hopes to use her talents to positively impact the people and world around her.

“I want to leave some sort of helpful legacy, where I’ve done something good for the world through scientific research or something,” Anika said. “Even through music, I want to make a lasting, positive impact on people’s lives overall through something I enjoy doing myself.”