Humans of Harker: Athletic artistry

Athreya Daniel offers a unique outlook on golf and economics

%E2%80%9C%5BIn%5D+golf%2C+I+realized+that+there%E2%80%99s+only+so+much+you+can+control+through+technique.+If+you+can+really+just+focus+on+feeling+the+club+and+getting+your+shot+and+executing+something+you+visualize%2C+you+have+a+much+more+productive+and+enjoyable+experience.+I+tend+to+view+a+lot+of+things+like+that.+Even+in+the+way+I+study%2C+the+way+I+approach+the+classes%2C+I+try+to+make+them+as+artistically+enjoyable+as+possible%2C+always+trying+to+find+a+way+to+sort+of+visualize+an+outcome+and+play+around+with+things+until+I+get+it%2C+Athreya+Daniel+%2812%29+said.+

Jonathan Xue

“[In] golf, I realized that there’s only so much you can control through technique. If you can really just focus on feeling the club and getting your shot and executing something you visualize, you have a much more productive and enjoyable experience. I tend to view a lot of things like that. Even in the way I study, the way I approach the classes, I try to make them as artistically enjoyable as possible, always trying to find a way to sort of visualize an outcome and play around with things until I get it,” Athreya Daniel (12) said.

A painter perfecting their latest masterpiece. A violinist performing a soulful sonata. A singer sustaining a flawless high note. All these vignettes could be described as artistic in nature. But the definition of “artistic” is a subjective concept. For Athreya Daniel (12), the word encapsulates the creativity to express himself through his work, an experimental approach divergent from technical rigor. To him, “artistic” could describe a golfer visualizing their next shot or an economist discovering more about their world through ground-breaking research.

With fluid grace, Athreya’s golf club gently brushes through clean-cut grass, launching a golf ball off into the distance, where it softly drops a few feet from the hole. He smiles, his light-hearted laughter juxtaposed by the roaring wind. Initially introduced to golf at the age of 6, Athreya became enamored with the game, taking up the sport competitively two years later. Yet, he has a unique take on the sport — rather than focusing on golf’s technical aspects, he prefers to view it as an explorative puzzle, experimenting with new angles and ideas.

“There are two ways to approach [golf],” Athreya said. “You can approach it as an artistic game or as an exercise in discipline. It’s much more fun approaching it artistically — trying to shape shots, trying to control trajectory, working on hitting the shots that you see in your head. And maybe that’s the most rewarding part of golf: when you can actually pull something like that off, seeing a shot and executing it.”

Besides helping him appreciate the small victories, Athreya’s unconventional approach to the game has also allowed him to achieve momentous feats. In his sophomore year, the school team qualified for CIF Central Coast Section championship, unexpectedly winning against all odds. Athreya vividly recalled the moment, recounting how the team managed to triumph over higher-ranked schools through a combination of good fortune and even better technique. Having played with unsurpassed consistency and coordination, the team emerged victorious. For Athreya, the magnitude of that moment arises from the hard work of the entire team, a culmination of months of diligent practice and a testament to their tireless training.

Yet, the journey that led to that golden moment brought its own challenges. A few years prior, Athreya broke his left wrist, an injury that prevented him from playing for over six months. Being unable to play the game he loved during that time posed frustrating for him. 

“Mentally it was certainly frustrating,” Athreya said. “My performance elsewhere suffered because golf was such an outlet for me. As much as I played to win, I played because it’s relaxing; [it] gives me peace of mind. It’s an artistic hobby, and it was difficult to not have an outlet like that.”

The lessons Athreya draws from golf imbue themselves throughout his life. Part of that has been learning to understand that many things are outside of his control. Instead of focusing on the outcome, Athreya has found that shaping his mentality based on his approach is far more rewarding.

“[In] golf, I realized that there’s only so much you can control through technique,” Athreya said. “If you can really just focus on feeling the club and getting your shot and executing something you visualize, you have a much more productive and enjoyable experience. I tend to view a lot of things like that. Even in the way I study, the way I approach the classes, I try to make them as artistically enjoyable as possible, always trying to find a way to sort of visualize an outcome and play around with things until I get it.”

Athreya’s focus on seeking out creative approaches has made him more resilient to change. To his friends, his mentality offers a comforting stability, manifested in thoughtful remarks and quality time spent together. Close friend Rahul Santhanam (12) noted Athreya’s profound insight, derived from his deep-rooted interests. 

“The depth of knowledge that he has makes him unique,” Rahul said. “He’s a very passionate person, especially when it comes to economics or history.”

Athreya took AP Economics during his junior year, intrigued by the content of the course. What initially started as speculative interest in the subject later transformed into a deep fascination. During second semester, when the class shifted to macroeconomics, Athreya began to truly appreciate the depth of the subject, seeing practical applications that could affect people in real life. His takeaways from the class informed his economics research, prompting him to focus on the tangible impacts of his work. 

“At first he was a little shy to figure out what the class was all about, and then he really began to blossom — not only during class, but also outside of class,” upper school economics teacher Samuel Lepler said. “Sometimes he would stick around for a minute after class and we’d chat about economics topics. He was always a solid rock of thoughtfulness, intellectualism, really being interested in understanding the concepts.”

While golf and economics may seem like completely unrelated pursuits, Athreya found connections between the two. In economics, experimenting with various methods and witnessing the real-world impact of one’s work can be just as expressive and fulfilling as executing a flawless golf shot. Through an artistic lens, he seeks to creatively express himself in both fields, delving deep into the heart of the matter.

“There are a lot of parallels to be drawn in the way you approach both golf and economics,” said Athreya. “You can approach [economics] very analytically, you can distance yourself from the implications of your work, just like you can overanalyze the golf swing and never really play the game. But you won’t really have the same rich experience if you don’t go beyond and meet the people and have conversations.”

These insights that Athreya draws from the world around him frequently impress his peers. His profound analyses of a range of topics, coupled with the contemplative manner in which he discusses these topics, continually amaze those around him. His quiet, soft-spoken tone carries an underlying gravity, speaking volumes about the depth of his thoughtfulness.

“Initially, I thought Athreya was very smart, a bit reserved, but someone who was very intelligent and thoughtful in general,” close friend Krish Maniar (12) said. “He was definitely a bit quiet and not as outgoing, but over time, he definitely used that to his strength. He was able to listen to others [and] be more thoughtful about how he approached certain situations.”

Offering an experimental approach to life, Athreya’s artistic viewpoint has helped him fully immerse himself in the activities he enjoys. He delights in discovering the nuanced intricacies of golf and economics, uncovering hidden treasures that are often overlooked. As he stands steadfast in the face of unexpected outcomes, Athreya’s flexibility has proven valuable time and time again, allowing him to overcome each new obstacle and better prepare himself for the next. Each field he’s involved in provides a medium for creative expression, allowing him to develop a unique perspective and inspire those around him. 

“One motto that stuck out to me was ‘It’s not about how hard you get hit. It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward,’” Athreya said. “There are enough opportunities for failure in high school that [failing becomes] irrelevant. Adaptability is something I’ve learned over the course of high school because things don’t always go your way. A lot of times, you don’t have control over that. That’s really something I tried to emphasize day to day — the ability to adapt.”