Humans of Harker: Innovation and automation

Chirag Kaushik serves his community through software

Arjun Barrett

“This competition, we spent a lot of time working on the autonomous functions. We designed a routine that would steal from the other teams, which no other teams really had in the competition. And we managed to execute that pretty consistently against some of the better teams. Continuing to learn more and more useful information over time is really important for growth,” Chirag Kaushik (12) said.

Sitting in the Harker Robotics lab, Chirag Kaushik (12) carefully tweaks the code behind Harker Robotics’ Team 1072’s latest competition robot. As he leads the other students in Harker Robotics’ software department, Chirag constantly plans ahead, anticipating the ways in which other robots will behave and devising strategies to outperform them. After hours of work, the team finally completes a creative routine to snatch the target balls as quickly as possible, preventing enemy robots from reaching them. Chirag congratulates his fellow software developers, confident that their unique idea will be a major advantage in the competition.

At a young age, Chirag became fascinated by computer science when he learned to create basic programs using Lego Mindstorm robots. Upon entering high school, Chirag joined the software division of the robotics team and has helped Harker’s Team 1072 participate in various competitions, including the FIRST Robotics Competition, by guiding the software subteam to create successful programs for their robots. In their most recent competition, the software developers innovated a clever strategy to outplay their opponents: stealing the targets from other robots.

“This competition, we spent a lot of time working on the autonomous functions,” Chirag said. “We designed a routine that would steal from the other teams, which no other teams really had in the competition. And we managed to execute that pretty consistently against some of the better teams. Continuing to learn more and more useful information over time is really important for growth.”

While focusing his academic efforts on computer science and robotics, Chirag finds it important to maintain healthy routines.

“I like to focus on habits,” Chirag said. “Every day, I’ll go through some sort of course or bike a certain distance. I try to make sure I do that every single day.”

Chirag also has a habit of seeking as much knowledge as he can about everything he can. He frequently spends time researching various topics online, then applying those ideas on his own.

Friend Gloria Zhu (12) has known Chirag since freshman year, sharing the same interests in robotics and computer science. Gloria notes Chirag’s immense dedication to learning and passion for exploration.

“Chirag is very deeply curious,” Gloria said. “In his own time, he takes the initiative to push even further. For example, in differential equations he was learning about the fast Fourier transform, and he decided to take it upon himself to implement it using Python and C++ just for fun.”

Chirag’s love of learning shaped his entire high school experience as he sought opportunities that challenged him intellectually. Beyond robotics, Chirag has also worked in HarkerDev, the school software development organization, since his freshman year. He began focusing on creating apps that serve the entire school. For example, Chirag created many components of Harker Pay, an app that allows students to pay for events and snacks on campus more easily than ever before. Later, he became an administrator in the team and helped create the Harker Announcements platform.

Having worked closely with Chirag in academic classes like AP Physics C and extracurriculars like robotics, Dr. Eric Nelson, the computer science department chair at the upper school, the director of the robotics team and the club adviser to HarkerDev, has seen Chirag grow both inside and outside the classroom throughout all four years of high school. Dr. Nelson notes the impact that Chirag has had on the robotics program and on every class he attends.

“When you’ve got someone who is a positive contributor, not only in their personal work, but in the environment they’re working in and working with others, that spills over,” Dr. Nelson said. “It’s a little bit like saying the rising tide lifts all boats. Walking in with this interest and dedication … everybody else starts to step up when they work around him, it just improves the environment overall.”

Computer science teacher Anu Datar taught Chirag AP Computer Science with Data Structures in his freshman year, followed by the Compilers and Interpreters course in his sophomore year. Datar has enjoyed seeing Chirag succeed in the classroom while remaining humble and kind.

“Although Chirag came into the APCS DS course with a wealth of knowledge from his prior experience, he never let that show in his attitude,” Datar said. “Even though he was knowledgeable, he was passionate, and it was as though he was on a quest to gain more and more knowledge. He seemed like one of the kids who never, ever shows off but is always eager to absorb more.”

Indeed, Datar highlights Chirag’s coding skills when she recalls an instance she believed Chirag was playing video games in his APCS DS class because he had created such a convincing clone of the online video game surviv.io for his final project. Later, he developed a full-fledged compiler for the Pascal programming language that went well beyond the expectations for the Compilers and Interpreters course.

Chirag has also had the opportunity to share his love for computer science with his peers both through robotics and his academic courses.

“I have seen him train other younger students who come into the robotics team for the software branch, giving them great insights into how to write the code,” Datar said. “So Chirag is an excellent teacher as well. I think that only comes from being super passionate about the work that you’re doing. You can only get so excited about something when you’re deeply connected to it, and that inspires other people.”

Despite all his achievements, Chirag reflects that there is always more to learn in the realm of computer science and beyond. He hopes to continue his quest for knowledge even as he explores the various opportunities offered beyond high school.

“I value learning,” Chirag said. “Continuing to learn more and more useful information over time is really important for growth.”