Humans of Harker: Building the magic

Zee Krylov weaves hope into technical theater and opens themself to the world

Michelle Wei

“I realized that I hate being on stage, which I tried doing for a long time. But I really like being next to it, and helping people, and making the stuff run. There’s a magic in all performances, and I’m very bad at being part of the magic, but I love helping bring the magic to life,” Zee Krylov (12) said.

Zee Krylov (12) hurriedly picks costumes off racks in the Rothschild Performing Arts Center (RPAC), ranging from a horribly mismatched set of rainbow clothing and shoes to a long dress with design influence from the 1780s. Not long before, Zee was suggesting the ideal time period for the 2021 Fall Play “Much Ado About Nothing.” Not long after, they prepare to dance on stage for the annual Dance Production.

Zee began technical theater at the middle school. At the moment of deciding to take a tech theater elective in seventh grade, they could not have predicted the absolute exhilerance and pure joy the medium would carry into their life.

“In seventh grade, we had a tech class,” Zee said. “I [impulsively] took it because I was bored … It made me realize that, as much as I did not love having to interact with humans day-to-day, that collaboration was exhilarating.”

They teched consistently during middle school, working with a mediocre stage space, no fly system and a rickety ladder up to a light tower. It was there that they first met people that would eventually become significant in their experience at the upper school.

“I got to know Zee as a technician,” Performing Arts Production Manager Brian Larsen said. “I have this first memory of Zee working props for a musical … They were very territorial … they were very into making sure stuff was looked after, so I admired the dedication.”

Zee jokes about the struggles they encountered working with middle schoolers, but they are appreciative of their experience at the middle school. Once they entered high school, they discovered an entirely new world for their goals in technical theater.

“You get so much more opportunity because middle schoolers are absolutely evil little gremlins,” Zee said. “And our class was a lot more direct because you’ve already learned the basics most of the time … So we got to jump straight into stuff.”

The limits at the upper school reached new heights, with improved equipment and an entire building dedicated to performing arts. Early into high school, they were eager to try many different positions.

“I realized that I hate being on stage, which I tried doing for a long time, but I really like being next to it, helping people and making the stuff run,” Zee said. “There’s a magic in all performances, and I’m very bad at being part of the magic, but I love helping bring the magic to life.”

Zee wanted to take on the larger, more responsibility stricken roles and was reassured that they would be able to eventually. Their first opportunity arrived sooner rather than later when they managed props.

“Zee is a person who’s very likely to show their excitement … I see them a lot around tech theater and the things they care about,” long-time friend Catherine Feng (12) said. “They were really, really excited when they got to be prop master.”

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the beginning of quarantine in March 2020 cut their aspirations short. The upperclassmen they had the pleasure of working with in freshman year were no longer at the school, and they returned this year being in the very position those students were.

“I was really bummed about having to have a gap,” Zee said. “We joke that, to make up for it, I’ve been trying to cram two and a half years worth of things into one year.”

Zee has involved themself consistently to continue with the certificate program, an option for students especially interested in performing arts, allowing them to master their medium along with sharpening skills in other performing arts sections.

“Usually one to two people per year are in the tech theater concentration, so we’re that much closer to each other,” Zee said. “You might not end up going into tech theater as a career, but you will know a lot more about it than you would if you’re lacking concentration.”

Students earn technical theater points by participating in technical theater calls, such as ushering or building — each worth a point. Zee gained a grand total of 105 technical theater points over the past four years, reflecting their dedication.

Being the stage manager for the 2021 fall play, Zee made sure the play was historically logical and that props could be economically accounted for.

“That was the hard position,” Zee said. “You’re there from start to finish. I was here for more days than every single actor. The only person who was there more days was [upper school theater director Jeffrey] Draper.”

Zee also worked as a very involved central designer for the Student Directed Showcase (SDS), directed by seniors Saumi Mehta, Josh Field, Ysabel Chen and Richie Amarillas. They designed the fake painting on a wall for “Governing Alice,” directed by Saumi, and worked heavily with costumes for all four shows. For “Removing the Glove,” a satirical show with metaphors of coming out as gay, Zee suggested that all characters wear bracelets on their left hands and that the lead role remove his dull jacket while coming out.

“I remember that they were giving off so many pieces of advice, and they were all amazing,” Ysabel, director of “Removing the Glove” and Zee’s friend, said. “I ended up incorporating 90% of that in my show. A lot of the costume ideas came from Zee, and it was fantastic.”

Zee also teched and performed for the 2022 dance show, “Blast From The Past.” Before indulging fully in technical theater, they danced for many years, and this year, they had the chance to combine the two. Being back in person this year has been an incredible experience for Zee, reiterating the significance of technical theater to them.

“They’re really bright and creative, and they’ve gotten a lot more confident about who they are … not afraid to be who they are despite what anyone says,” Catherine said.

Zee plans to develop their technical theater skills past high school and during the rest of their life. In the meantime, their large contributions to technical theater at Harker are appreciated.

“They brought a lot of energy and fun to this program for the last four years,” Larsen said. “I’m really happy that they were part of our experience here.”

Zee’s outward expression hints to their characteristics and matches their spirit. From their vibrant clothing to their powerful presence, many of their observable traits provide a window into who they are.

“They’re very unique, and pretty much every aspect of their personality and being is unique … you can see that they were artsy from the get-go,” Ysabel said. “I do remember that they were shy but very, very kind. The kindness has stayed.”

Zee’s fun-loving and humorous personality lifts the moods of those around them, but their authentic care for others stands out the greatest.

“If something crosses into the realm of stepping on somebody that they feel is either under represented or is in a weaker position, they’re very quick to get in there and defend, calling out things that are wrong or calling out that people are being mistreated,” Larsen said. “I admire that about them.”