Maui stories: A look into the hula

Wanda Adlawan teaches the journalism students a simple hula dance combination. Adlawan has been dancing the hula for 43 years.

The graceful movement of the arms and the continuous rotation of the hips set the hula apart from other modern dance styles.

Contrary to popular belief, there is only one type of hula dance, according to Wanda Adlawan, hula dancer and teacher. The different styles emerge from varying the assortment of steps. The hardest type, she says, is performing flat-footed because keeping the same flowing sequence of the hips without moving the balls of one’s feet requires more upper body muscle and skill.

Having danced the hula for 43 years, Adlawan encourages dancers to “know the song before [they] learn the [routine]” as the hula is an interpretation of the captivating Hawaiian landscape and the human body.

“If you don’t love [the hula] or like it, it will show [in the dance],” she said.

Advanced hula dancers often use specified instruments to further express the meaning behind the dance. Performers can add to the music with instruments such as the pu’ili, two sets of thin bamboo sticks tied together, which they can tap against their body to create a unique sound. Other dancers use ili ili, flat and round stones similar to castanets; uli uli, brightly-colored feathered rattles; or kala’au, two polished wooden implements.

A few of the most basic hula steps include Ahulili, Kaholo, Ami, Imuna, and Ha’ina. Often, the name of the steps will be a part of the song lyrics, guiding the dancers throughout the routine.

Ahulili means “to turn” in Hawaiian and is performed with a simple three-step sequence whilst making half rotations. Kaholo, the most basic step, is known as the “breather” in any Hawaiian dance. The Ami is a counterclockwise rotation of the hips, and the Imuna is a five-step sequence. The Haina signifies the end of a song and comes directly before the finishing bow.

The hula symbolizes the islands’ distinct environments and is a modern representation of Hawaii’s roaring waves, lush vegetation, and rich history.
For prospective hula students, Adlawan offers three pieces of advice.

“Learn with an open heart,” she said. “Listen to a song before you dance it, and [remember] that [a wrong] interpretation can ruin a song.”

Contributing to the article: Jessica Chang