Humans of Harker: A gym for the mind

Srivishnu Pyda strengthens his mentality and confidence through basketball

Lavanya Subramanian

“[Basketball] has given me confidence in my abilities and taught me to not hesitate, like shooting your shot in a game when you’re open. That also translates to academics. [The sport] is a large part of who I am because a lot of my own traits, like being a little more confident or being more calm during stressful situations, I’ve learned from basketball,” Srivishnu Pyda (12) said.

As Srivishnu Pyda (12) recalls his basketball career at Harker, he emphasizes how impactful basketball has been. As a new freshman, Srivishnu joined the basketball team and found a group of teammates and coaches who helped him develop on and off the court. His love for the game has shaped his confidence and attitude and turned him into the person he is today.

“[Basketball] has given me confidence in my abilities and taught me to not hesitate, like shooting your shot in a game when you’re open. That also translates to academics,” Srivishnu said. “It’s a large part of who I am because a lot of my own traits, like being a little more confident or being more calm during stressful situations, I’ve learned from basketball.”

Srivishnu gives credit to his coaches for developing his skill. When he first came to Harker, Srivishnu’s mid range shot was one of his standout strengths. Upper school head coach Butch Keller helped him hone his talents, while also improving his weaknesses. Close friend Krishay Mukhija (12), who has known Srivishnu since freshman year, admires his dedication to improving his technique and skills.

“He practices every single day. He has a basketball hoop outside of his home, and every single time I call him, he’s always practicing,” Krishay said. “He has a very thorough set of drills that he does, whether he’s focusing on shooting or he wants to focus on playing inside the paint. It’s inspiring to see how thorough he is in his drills and his practice.”

Despite the countless hours spent practicing, Srivishnu also realizes the importance of maintaining a strong mental fortitude, which he knows is critical in a high-pressure sport like basketball.

“We read this book called ‘Mind Gym: An Athlete’s Guide to Inner Excellence’ by Gary Mack that is focusing in on why the mental aspect of sports [and] mental fitness is really important,” Srivishnu said. “Reading the book with the coaches and my teammates is something that really helps me off the court, like staying calm.”

Team activities on and off the court helped Srivishnu grow more confident in his shot, as he became a shooting guard. Even though his mid range shot was one of his strengths since he joined the team, he now has the confidence to shoot the ball if no one is guarding him. Friend and teammate Arjun Virmani (12) not only recognizes Srivishnu’s strong work ethic, which has launched his skills to new heights, but also mentions Srivishnu’s growth in confidence as his biggest improvement.

“In ninth grade, he was a little nervous because it was his first time playing on a real team. Over the four years, he’s put in a lot of work on his game, and that translated into him being more confident in games and practices,” Arjun said. “When he could see himself going against the best players and scoring on them, that really increased his confidence. You can see it in his game, which has taken huge strides in the past four years.”

Srivishnu’s new confidence also transitioned over to the classroom. As someone who grew nervous at times during tests, gaining more confidence helped Srivishnu stop doubting himself.

Srivishnu has witnessed a shift in the basketball team as a member for four years. During his freshman and sophomore years, the team was much bigger and taller. In recent years, the team is overall shorter, which has caused a change in the offense. Despite this change, Srivishnu emphasizes that his chemistry with his teammates after four years is stronger than ever.

“In terms of how close I’ve gotten with my team, I think I’ve gotten a lot closer with them, specifically with the people in my grade,” Srivishnu said. “New players come in, and I play with them every week. It’s nice to see how I’ve gotten closer with my teammates over the four years.”

As Srivishnu moves onto college, he doesn’t want to be remembered as the person with the most skill or athleticism on the basketball team, but rather as the most passionate player on the court.

“I’m passionate about basketball, and on the court I hustle a lot. Overall, it is enjoyable to play with my friends in a competitive environment and with a competitive spirit,” Srivishnu said.