Sophomore class raises funds on pi day

In honor of the renowned mathematics constant π, the sophomore class held a pie fundraiser on March 14, beginning sales at 3:14 PM.

A week prior to the event, Class of 2014 dean, Victor Adler, began posting comedic reminders on the daily bulletin stating that March 14 was fast approaching, hoping to stir anticipation for the fundraiser. This is the first pie fundraiser organized by the sophomore class, so the student council officers ensured that both students and faculty were well aware of such event.

“Although it was a little chaotic in the beginning, I think that in the end when everything was sold, we really did a great job getting the pies cut, and I think the theme was a great idea,” Treasurer Rohith Bhethanabotla (10) said.

Immediately after school, students hoarded around the sales table in the front-loading zone, waiting to buy their pies. The officers were selling for approximately thirty minutes with a variety of pies available, from the typical Pumpkin and Apple Pies to the more elaborate Banana Cream and Chocolate Cream Pies.

As one of the most important constants in mathematics, the numerical value of pi never repeats any pattern of digits nor does it ever end. Therefore, Class President Arjun Goyal wished to recognize the significance of it and hoped to celebrate π day by coordinating this lighthearted event.

“The reason we wanted to do pi day was […] because it’s a special day and […] we can use the money [we raise] to help our class for the upcoming spirit week,” Arjun said.

According to Rohith, the sophomore class earned $230 in profit from the after school sale. But, the pies do not end there. The following day, on March 15, the class officers sold before school and delivered pies during advisory to those who placed an order. Pies were delivered to around 12 advisories.

Meanwhile, Renu Singh (10) attempted to sell other baked goods during advisory, but later found that pie sales took a higher precedence then brownies and cookies.

“It’s a fun and unique way to raise money for our class,” she said.

The sophomore class earned a $284 profit at the end of the fundraiser.