TALONWP.com awarded Columbia Scholastic Press Association Gold Crown

Ten of the journalism students accept the award form C. Bruce Watterson at the Columbia Scholastic Press Association(CSPA) spring convention in NYC.

On March 16, the Upper School journalism’s news website, TALONWP.com, was awarded the prestigious Gold Crown Award at the Columbia Scholastic Press Association’s (CSPA) 88th annual Spring Scholastic Convention.

Every year, the CSPA awards Crowns to the top student publications in the nation; the Gold Crown is the highest level of recognition a publication can earn. TALONWP was one of 13 Gold Crown winners in the High School Digital News division.

TALONWP Editor-in-Chief Jackie Jin (12) was excited to win and recognized the entire staff’s efforts.

“[We] tried a lot of different things this year, and all of it really required everyone’s participation and support,” Jackie said.

All Upper School journalism students contribute to the site. Priyanka Mody (12), Editor-in-Chief of The Winged Post, has watched the site grow over the past few years.

“I know there is a lot of hard work that goes into it, and it’s really nice to be recognized with such a prestigious award because it’s a relatively new site,” she said. “It’s really been taken to new heights this year.”

Ten students attended the awards ceremony at Columbia University. During the rest of the week, they attended a variety of journalism seminars at the CSPA Convention and toured New York City in the remaining time.