Baby Wants Candy members visit Upper School

by Mariam Sulakian & Urvi Gupta

On Friday February 3, five members from Baby Wants Candy, a professional musical improvisational troupe, visited the Upper School to give a teaser for their upcoming show on Saturday.

The Baby Wants Candy group had become acquainted with students when they encountered the cast of last year’s Spring Musical, Pippin, during the Fringe Festival in Scotland over the summer.

The teaser began with a request for a student volunteer to join the troupe onstage; freshman Matt Bloch offered details on his family, sports, and future career plans.

Many students believed Matt’s deadpan answers suited the comic nature of the role.

“I liked the way Matt Bloch gave a good intro to them. I think it made the show ten times better,” commented Claudia Tischler (10).

After listening to his answers, the troupe acted out three scenes: one about his home life, one about his football team, and the last on his future. During each of the acts, a completely improvised musical number would be performed by the cast, tailored to Matt’s circumstances.

“It’s interesting how they interacted and improvised and how there was no practice,” said Caroline Lai (11).

Baby Wants Candy will be performed Saturday evening at the Blackford campus, both alongside student performers and in their own improvised musical.