WP – Chinese New Year recipe

Chinese New Year, or the Spring Festival, was celebrated on January 23, marking the first day on the Chinese calendar and the beginning of the Year of the Dragon in Chinese zodiac tradition.

The festival is typically celebrated with parades through the streets, lion dances, a wide array of pyrotechnics, and gift-giving. It also marks the world’s largest human resettlement as hundreds of millions of people return to their rural hometowns in droves to visit their families. Other traditions include having a family dinner, hanging the word fu (meaning “good luck”) on one’s door, and giving Red Envelopes (or hongbao) with money to children.

Mandarin teacher Dr. Shaun Jahshan thinks that Chinese New Year signifies the reshaping of one’s life.

“It’s the beginning of the year when all debts must be paid, when you get new clothes, when you clean your house, when you forgive debts if you’re so inclined to do that.” she said. “So it’s all about new beginnings and welcoming the end of a cold, dark part of the year. So it’s an ancient harvest festival, but its also very important economically and, of course, culturally.”

Elizabeth Teng (10), who lived in Taiwan for two years, shares a similar sentiment.

“Chinese New Year is a time when families gather together and not [only] think back on the previous year but also think of resolutions and what they hope for the new year,” she said.

Like in Western culture, the arrival in the New Year is a time for people to evaluate their lives, and set goals for the upcoming annum.

Eric Swenson (11) believes Chinese New Year is a rare chance for him to visit his friends and family.

“It’s a fun time to hang out with some people that I don’t always see,” he said.

Various foods are popular during Chinese New Year, most notably fish, as the Chinese character for “fish” is a homonym of the word for “wealth.” Dumplings, mandarin oranges, roast pork, and porridge are also common treats. Another traditional dish is niangao, a sweet, sticky glutinous rice cake whose name literally means “year high.” Eating it is believed to bring a year of good fortune.

Chinese New Year is celebrated not only in China, however, also in other Asian countries including the Philippines, Singapore, and Malaysia.

Recipe for Niangao

Ingredients:
· 1/3 lb sugar
· 1 bag (16 oz) regular rice flour
· 1 bag (16 oz) sweet rice flour
· 3 cups water
· 1/2 cup dried cherries
· 1/4 cup dried raisins

Directions:
1. Mix the sugar, sweet and regular rice flours, water, and cherries in a large bowl.
2. Pour batter into a 9 inch pie pan.
3. Sprinkle top with raisins.
4. Steam for 40 minutes on medium heat.
5. Optional: For a crispy exterior, pan fry on low heat for 5 minutes.