Global Empowerment Outreach club holds “Infection Day” for Upper School advisories

On October 20th, 2011, students participated in Infection Day, an all-school game organized by the Global Empowerment Outreach (GEO) club.

GEO has been working to raise money and awareness for the Global Alliance for Vaccines and Immunization all week through various activites including Vow of Silence, in which students ask friends, teachers and family to sponsor them to be silent for an entire school day. GEO members also sold sports bags and Halloween candygrams after school.

“Each advisory was put up against a ‘partner’ advisory,” GEO member Cherry Xie (12) wrote. She was unable to talk because she was participating in the Vow of Silence.

“Infected” advisories wore monster stickers to show that they carried the “disease” and were given small red stickers with which to infect their partner advisory.

Their partner advisor was uncontaminated, but did not have a vaccination against the disease. Students would try to infect members of their partner advisory by putting red stickers on them.

Each grade was infected with a different disease: freshmen had the FLU, sophomores had Meningitis A, juniors had yellow fever and seniors had Hepatitis B. The game had a competitive edge too: students tried to infect everyone in their target advisory as fast as they could to be the first in their grade to complete the challenge.

“We looked at the list of people in our target advisory and divided up who would infect who based on who saw the people during their classes, or during lunch.” Shivani Chandrashekaran (10) said.

Some advisories used different ways to make sure they infected their target advisory, such as waiting outside the door to ambush the students as they left advisory.

“It was a good example [of how quickly diseases spread] because to account for the fact that only certain people could spread it, but there were still a lot of people who could spread it[…]; it made it very realistic.” Sapna Suresh (10) said.

Other students felt less enthusiastic about the game’s execution.

“There was very little preparation,” Kushal Ranjan (12) said. “I couldn’t find two people who actually agreed on the rules.”

The Infection Day game, as well as the other GEO activites are intended to help raise money for vaccinations for children in third world countries. Through this schoolwide activity, GEO aims to give students a sense of perspective in the seriousness of disease spread and the need for vaccinations.