Teachers open rooms for students during free period

During the school meeting on Monday, October 10, Maverick McNealy (11), junior class vice president, announced that several teachers’ rooms are now available for quiet work during free periods.

Instead of working in the library or in the halls of academic buildings, students now have the opportunity to complete their assignments in classrooms. Schedules specific to each day outline the rooms available for particular periods. On average, about two and a half classrooms are open to students each period.

Maverick devised the idea after having a schedule packed with classes and after school activities the year before.

“I’ve worked in Ms. Moss’ room during eight period all of last year, and […] it was really helpful,” he said.

Therefore, he decided that all students with free periods should have the chance to finish their assignments in classrooms.

“I think it’s a really good idea because when I go to the library, sometimes all of the desks are being used up,” Sahithya Prakash (10) said. “Most of the time in the hallways or in the buildings, a lot of people are talking, and I can’t really focus [….] I will definitely be using [the classrooms] in the future.”

Teachers are in support of the classroom study opportunity as well.

“I think it was a great idea,” said Donna Gilbert, History Department Chair. “A lot of students don’t have a quiet study space with actual desks where they can study during their free periods and lunch.”

While students were always welcome to sit in classrooms during extra help, free periods were usually spent in hallways, outside areas, or the library. Now, students with excessive amounts of homework and crammed itineraries have the chance to complete their assignments in the subdued environment of a classroom, removing them from outside distractions.