Junior class take part in first LIFE assembly of the year

Varun Baldwa

Diane Main prepares to present in front of the Class of 2017. The annual LIFE Assembly takes place in Nichols Auditorium.

The junior class attended its first LIFE assembly of the year, in which Diane Main, director of learning, innovation and design, presented her powerpoint “Your LIFE Online” in the Nichols auditorium yesterday.

The juniors received similar information regarding digital citizenship in a LIFE assembly during their freshman year. However, the assembly on Thursday was more in depth, focusing on how decisions made online can affect students’ lives.

Main covered various topics including digital footprints and privacy, sexting, cyberbullying, time management, screen time, plagiarism and sleep. She explained the benefits of maintaining a clean digital footprint, specifically if students were to apply for a job, internship and college.

Diane Main presents a slide on various digital platforms. She highlighted the importance of digital privacy to maintain a clean digital footprint.
Varun Baldwa

“It helps us be more aware of our social presence online and how that could affect us in the future,” Sneha Bhetanabhotla (11) said.

Students found the assembly useful as it reminded them of topics they do not think about regularly, such as online privacy and safety.

“I think [the LIFE assembly] forced us to consider difficult questions we struggle to identify and answer that are essential to our growth as global citizens,” Srivatsav Pyda (11) said.

She captivated students through by engaging them in small group discussions and with comedy.

“Although she had an extremely serious and somewhat boring topic to discuss, Ms. Main enthralled our class by approaching the situation with elegant comedy,” Aashish Jain (11) said.

Main’s powerpoint, consisting of numerous articles, was emailed to the junior class and can be found at this link. She also welcomed any students with questions to contact her via email at [email protected].