New schedule to be introduced in the upper school

Melina Nakos

Daniel Hudkins, the director of information technology service and support for the upper school, announces the change of schedule at school meeting. The schedule will be piloted during the month of January and will be permanently implemented next year.

A new class schedule designed to reduce student stress will be tested in January for possible implementation in the school years ahead.

The schedule was designed by two committees of teachers as well as a team of students from the Challenge Success Club.

Two committees of staff members were created to design the schedule. The first was the Steering Committee headed by Daniel Hudkins, director of information technology service and support, and the other was the Professional Development Committee headed by english teacher John Docherty.

The Steering Committee is in charge of the technicalities of the new schedule such as making sure the math of the schedule fit the needs for Harker while the Professional Development Committee dealt with integrating and implementing the schedule to help the transition for teachers.   

The schedule is designed to reduce student’s workload and stress by allowing longer breaks, having fewer classes per day and ending at an earlier time.

“The big thing was student oriented,” Docherty said. “It was to reduce the stress that all the students in the upper school were experiencing on a day-to-day basis.”

The schedule works on a rotation between A, B, C and D days. The days will rotate between the four options as shown on this calendar for January The number of classes will also rotate so no days have every class. One day will have three classes and the next will have four classes.

“I like it more since we don’t have homework every single day for each subject,” Alisa Su (10) said. “I guess after awhile the 85 minute classes will get tiring, but I think it’s better than what we have now.”  

The new bell schedule will run on a four day cycle. The schedule will be implemented in January and the first day of February for trial purposes.

Junior Molly Wancewicz has mixed feelings about the bell schedule due to the length of the classes.  
“I think that there’s some good things and some bad things, I really dislike the long block period because it’s hard enough to concentrate in the block periods you already have,” she said.  

The academic day will end at 2:50 p.m every day. Extra help and college counseling will take place after the end of the school day.

Time on Thursday after school will be dedicated for club meetings.

“The basis is always trying to find an environment that we think will best permit students to learn,” Hudkins said.

The new schedule will have 10 minute long passing periods as well as having a 65 minute lunch every other day in the new schedule.

The maximum amount of homework teachers are permitted to assign will stay consistent so that students have a greater workload spread over multiple days due to the classes meeting at fewer intervals.

The committee will send out a presurvey for the students to share their thoughts on the new schedule before its test run in January.