Whooping cough exposure at upper school

Pertussis bacteria is shown through a microscope. The bacterial infection manifests in a runny nose, low fever and mild cough before escalating to a severe cough after one to two weeks.

Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

After an Upper School student tested positive for pertussis, Debra Nott, Upper School nurse, sent out a school-wide email with information on pertussis and treatment.

The infected student attended school while contagious from Aug. 20 to Sept. 8. Nott’s notification contained an exposure notice from the Public Department of Health and a list of pertussis symptoms. The bacterial infection manifests in a runny nose, low fever and mild cough before escalating to a severe cough after one to two weeks.

“It’s transmitted through coughing, sneezing, the saliva, talking. You’re talking and saliva particles come out,” Upper School Nurse Claire Kelly, said. “Use good handwashing techniques. If you are around someone who’s coughing a lot, keep that in in mind and maybe keep your distance. Make sure you don’t share any drinks or food.”

The parents of the infected student contacted Harker yesterday after the student tested positive for pertussis in a pediatrician’s swab test, in spite having received immunization for pertussis two years ago with a Tdap vaccine. The vaccine is generally only 80% effective, but those who do become infected have a milder case of whooping cough than someone unimmunized.

Nott assured the students and parents in her email that further infection was unlikely. Several years ago, a single student at Harker contracted whooping cough and did not infect anyone else. In an immunized community like Harker, further spread is unlikely.

“I’m the one who has students coming in here all the time, so if anyone is coughing or sneezing, I would get a lot of exposure most likely, and I’m really not that worried about getting it,” Kelly said.

As of Aug. 3, The California Department of Public Health has reported over 3,400 cases of pertussis in 2015. 126 cases led to hospitalizations, 71% of whom were infants under 4 months old. Apart from 2010 and 2014, years when California declared a pertussis epidemic, 2015 has the most cases of whooping cough since 1950.

Parents and students can call the Public Health Department at at (408) 885-4214 or Debra Nott at (408) 553-0562 with further questions.